Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NASA Chief in hot water over climate change comments ?

John

This report of the reaction recent comments by NASA's Administrator Michael Griffin on global warming makes interesting reading:

http://www.livescience.com/environment/070531_gw_griffin.html

I'm particularly intrigued by his view that mankind should not dictate what climate conditions are best for the planet and that furthermore that our attempts to control it are likely to prove futile. Naive or just not politically correct at the moment ?.

I wonder if he is one of those who are not entirely convinced that global warming is predominantly caused by human activity ?.

John

I'm fairly convinced that there is no easy way to unburn all the fossil fuels that have been burnt already, welcome warmer winters (less fossil fuel required) and couldn't possibly comment on what the climate is "supposed to be" at the moment.

In school we were taught about ice ages in the (relatively recent in geological terms) ancient history of the world. We looked at how glaciation produced the hills and valleys where I currently live and all that. The cavemen, with all their 4X4s and V8 gas guzzlers, messed it up royally for the wooly mammoths and sabre toothed tigers in England, but on the upside, we no longer have indigenous bears or wolves.

If the guy says it how he sees it, then what's the problem? Like the man said in the link, NASA do the measuring and report the measurements, end of. Its then up to the politicians to spin the numbers to suit whatever agenda is prevalent at the time. :police:

I'm with Mr. Griffin on this one.

Captain Chaos

Seems to me that the guy makes some very fair points....

I like the question he raises as to who should have the privelige of deciding what the optimal climate is for our planet?

Answers on a postcard (to your local MP of course :police:)

Hugh

I'll pay a little more attention to climate scientists and their climate models when they can accurately tell me whether it'll be clear tonight or not :D so in that respect I think Mr Griffin raises some good points.

Climate change seems to rank up there with religion as one of those topics that its almost impossible to have a rational discussion over as each side of the argument seems to regard the others side as being heretical and worthy of eternal damnation. That said regardless of my opinions one way or the other I think turning off our lights a little more will make the climate change advocates, astronomers and those who worry about the strategic implications of our reliance on oil all nice and happy.... :police:

Climate change true or false, yes things may be hotting up a bit ,but are we the cause of it ,not all scientist think we are ,but the politicans soon jump on the band wagon ,and so do some scientist some good money hand out can be got out of this ,so as far as i am concerned the jury's still out on this ,time will only supplie the answer,any one who differs from the the political, or from the (scientific view) will be burnt at the stake ....thats my pessimistic view for what its worth .......clear nights to all :police:

...not all scientist think we are ,

982 to 0 scientific papers confirming global warming and our role in it.

... some good money hand out can be got out of this ,

Yeah, scientists are only in it for the money. And what of the oil companies paying to supress the research?

I'll drop out now because there's no convincing the unconvincable.

Archived