Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Methos

A few first attempts of the moon

Hi all I know I shouldn't have with equipment I got, but I couldn't resist having a go at imaging the moon (Afocal) I have a Skywatcher 150p Dob and a normal 10mp digi camera.

post-24100-1338777162_thumb.jpg

post-24100-133877716206_thumb.jpg

Hi all I know I shouldn't have with equipment I got, but I couldn't resist having a go at imaging the moon...

Why on Earth not?!? These are great for being your first afocals. :icon_scratch:

Why on Earth not?!? These are great for being your first afocals. :icon_scratch:

Too right!

I've got the Afocal bug now :D Jupiter is a right pain with a manual scope!

Thank you guys :icon_scratch: I've tried Jupiter too, but have failed :D. I've got a 2x barlow now so I'll have another go using that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well done those are ace... when you say a normal 10mp camera which one do you mean? I have been bought a Nikon D3000 and would love to know what settings you had yours on...

Cheers :)

Thank you guys! Hi Patbloke I'm using a Panasonic Lumix 10Mp Camera, I set the the film speed (ISO) at 1600, then I underexposed the shot as i was getting whited out on the gbbous moon, I took loads of shots and it really is hit and miss (well for me it was lol). I pretty sure I had left the camera on normal exposure (0) for the crescent moon, and then I did a little processing using Windows Live on both images! Hope that helps (Sorry for the late reply)

Good luck and clear skies

Scott :icon_salut:

Thanks, was really tempted to have a go last night with the camera again, but ended up surfin the skies and hitting my usual favs... making the most of a clear night!