Narrowband

Deep Space Contact...What Would You Ask?

Mr Q

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd send the representation of hydrogen and see what they respond with

I suspect that the only way you could be sure of getting communicaiton to work with a species you know nothing about is by using something universal, ie all hydrogen particles will look the same no matter where you are in the universe

I suspect that the only way you could be sure of getting communicaiton to work with a species you know nothing about is by using something universal, ie all hydrogen particles will look the same no matter where you are in the universe

As will math, hopefully :icon_salut:

I'd send the representation of hydrogen and see what they respond with

What if we send a simple H atom It may look simple to us and we believe they should understand it - but not necessary to them - if their understanding is far more sophisticated than ours....they may see Hydrogen broken down completely into a host of sub particles - some of which we may not have encountered?

The best way to communicate would be as daft as it sounds - was the way it was depicted in Close encounters - by musical tones

I would ask them to forgive us for we are not yet developed and that we deserve a chance....

Simply because if we can speak to them and ask them something chances are they already know something about us.....and lets face it -we ain't a pretty race to deal with.

But a Hydrogen atom will look the same anywhere, it isnt going to change shape just because its on the other side of the galaxy.

As for the aliens understanding it, well if they are smart enough to recieve such a message you'd think they would have worked out a lil chemistry/phsyics etc, no? After all we get our shapes of how these things look from observation dont we?

Hi Kit...

Not really - visually we have learned what we have seen...

It doesn't mean that other species uses the same format of understanding, their visual to mental picture of how it pieces things together may be totally different.

Archived