Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

12 years before the Norman conquest...

ollypenrice

...news reached the Earth of a spectacular firework. A few of its photons went down the spout of Yves' ODK14 on a three hour test session. If anyone gets to do the Jodrell Bank radio Astronomy course they'll get to play with the original data from the days when we had to wait for the moon to occult the Crab in order to confirm that it really was the radio source detected in that general direction. In fact final confirmation needed a second occultation since a single one creates two possible locations.

No doubt we'll revisit this one at some point but for now, and with thanks to the Mesu 2 for keeping the guiding down to 0.35RMS, here's a quickie. It has 10 and 20 minute subs. The longer ones were better, not surprisingly, but we want to experiment at this stage.

Olly

Full size; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Nebulae-and-clusters/9252249_fgpT2j#!i=1669208362&k=XmfZ6jq&lb=1&s=O

CRAB-3HRS-HA-PROCESSED-L.jpg

Looks like you're beginning to run into the limit of seeing.. I make it about 2.5 arc sec FWHM.

The clarity certainly does help to bring out the beauty of an object like this, I can sense a few POWs comming your way.

Derek

Archived