Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are Sony DSLR Cameras any good for imaging?

WhiteRhino

I May still be a novice too, but to add to the conversation here. I have a Nikon D3100, and one of my friends has a Sony SLT-A55V.

As far as quality Afocal AP and Wide field I can't tell much difference as far as quality. The only complaints he has about his Sony are the same as everyone else here. The AP accessory support and the live view (or lack there of...).

I guess it all depends on what you plan on doing, and what you are willing to work with as far as availability of accessories.

I love my Nikon, and have no desire to switch over to Sony or Canon. But that's just me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the live view (or lack there of...).

QUOTE]

The sony a300 and 330 both have live view 3.5" lcd screens on them...I personally like downloading them to the laptop to get the full picture but I do agree the support for astronomy with sony's are just not there at all. Makes me very limited on what can be done.

the live view (or lack there of...).

QUOTE]

The sony a300 and 330 both have live view 3.5" lcd screens on them...I personally like downloading them to the laptop to get the full picture but I do agree the support for astronomy with sony's are just not there at all. Makes me very limited on what can be done.

You are correct I looked at the specs his does have a live view (I've never actually used his camera, just seen his pictures.) I don't know why I was thinking he said it didn't have a live view. Maybe he was just complaining about the live view. I'll have to ask him... Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah all good. regardless there is just no support on the sony's for astro purposes...I have been searching high and low for a decent LP narrowband filter for the camera so I can take some decent wide view shots without a horrible gradient to get rid of...plenty of stuff out there for Cannon though :D

If you have the camera attached to a scope simply put the filter in the T-adapter, they are threaded for filters.

yeah I might do that eventually, but was thinking more along the lines of wide view photography...don't really have the appropriate scope right now to utilize a DSLR properly and obtain the proper inward focus.

Hi everyone been away for a couple of days so not really been able to keep upto date.

Whilst i was away i have been busy snapping away taking wide field shots of Orion...around 200 of them at 32mm at 20sec exposures along with several flasks of tea and lots of jumping up and down to keep warm!!

I havent stacked or processed them yet, however at first glance the images appear to be quite good.

As far as live view is concerned on my A350...i found that for widefield AP its not really much use. I suspect though that, this is not a flaw with the Sony, rather the resolution is just not high enough on the screen to process the small amount of light emitted from the constelations into a picture on the screen. Either that or given the fact i live in Manchester and the large amount of polution is preventing me from using the screen?? Anyway i ended up using the viewfinder!!!

I cant comment on how the live view performs whilst using a scope as i dont yet own one but from what i have learned so far as a newby to the world of astronomy and AP, is that for the purpose of AP im going to invest in a cheap second hand Cannon body then have it moded and keep my Sony for terrestrial photography. I love my Sony and would not trade it for anything, but i have to concede as far as AP goes Cannon seems tolead the way in terms of support and accessories etc. Its also worth pointing out from the research ive carried out that the Cannon seems to perform slightly better in that they dont seem to suffer with ''quite'' as much noise. Though i dont have personal experience of this.

I have a Canon D1100 body now and it's smaller and lighter than my Sony A200. I has a cheaper feel to it. Mind you, at full price the Sony cost somewhat more than the Canon. Tried it for the first time today but only on terrestrial objects and the atmosphere was rather poor. All I can conclude ATM is that it works :)

• 3 weeks later...

In defence of the sonys I use an alpha 580 for (occasional) AP both with scopes and lenses and found it to be great - zoomable live view for focussing, screen is on a hinge so you dont break your back, mirror-up lock, super-high ISO (you wouldn't want to take subs at that ISO but thru the liveview you can "see" quite faint objects.

There is obviously a LOT more support & advice for the Canons but if anyone reading this has a sony and wants to try AP you don't need to trade it in immediately :)

• 6 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this one! I searched for Sony Alpha A300 and found this thread. I've just bought a very nice Celestron CGX 9.25 and I plan on attaching my Sony A300 to it. I've downloaded Sony Imaging Edge but just found out that the Sony A300 doesn't do remote viewing on a pc screen! Does anyone know if there is a way of displaying my live view on my pc screen or will I be doing old school eye piece swapping?

Regards

Graeme 

Archived