Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Wiltshire-Ripper

iPhone / iPad apps

Hi Wiltshire-Ripper,

Hello from Highworth just up the road from you...

I use Starmap and also one called Satellites which is great for tracking the Space Station. I also downloaded Star Walk but is not great on the iPhone 4.

Sky-Safari for iphone, its like Stellarium and there is lots of versions depending on how much you want to spend. My version was £2.99 and is excellent. But I think the pro version costs about £30.

Star Walk is a must have for iPad, also moon and mars globes. NASA tv and my personal favourite is Exoplanet.

Edited by Dai150PL

SkySafari Pro is unbeatable. It's price is sometimes reduced. I got mine for £20.99. OK, you can get free or cheaper apps, but you get what you pay for, and I doubt if you could find one as detailed as SkySafari.

Also try; Messier List/ Stellarium/ Planets/ Space Images/ HubbleSite/ Distant Suns/ Scope Tools/ iPushTo/ Astronomo/ The Universe, and Sky and Telescope. All on my iphone at the moment, some good, some not so good.

For me I`'ll list the ones I use in order of preference. (iPad)

1. Sky Safari - with its ability to control my HEQ5Pro and the ability to create observing lists. Lots of info available on DSOs without the need of a live internet connection. Best one I`ve used by far

2. Star Walk - Pretty and far more engaging for the kids or semi-interested muggles who want to learn a bit about the stars.

3.GoSkyWatchPlanetarium - Lots of info but not too cluttered - best of all its FREE!

4. Redshift - Another pretty one for the non-astro sorts to play with - not much info to drill down into though.

On my personal "not all that good" list are

pUniverse - looks clunky and not enjoyable to use.

Stellarium - sluggish and unresponisve - nothing like its Windows based big brother.

I would love to see an iPad version of Cartes du Ciels - now that would be worth buying.

Thanks for the heads up. Very impressed so far. Slick movement, and a HUGE database :icon_scratch:

SkySafari Pro is unbeatable.

I think "Planets" is underrated... For a free app it gives some excellent info... and is great to use offline too (some other apps need wifi or 3G when using)

Freelander86

SkySafari Pro is unbeatable. It's price is sometimes reduced. I got mine for £20.99. OK, you can get free or cheaper apps, but you get what you pay for, and I doubt if you could find one as detailed as SkySafari.

Luke, is that 3 plus or pro? Big difference in price but I can't seem to find the difference in functionality.

Luke, is that 3 plus or pro? Big difference in price but I can't seem to find the difference in functionality.

Mine is the Pro version, described by Skysafari as the extreme version! It has a much bigger database, with 15 million stars down to 16th mag, and 740,000 DSOs to mag 18, plus all known moons, asteroids, and comets. It is awesome. It can control the telescope mount, but I really can't see the point of that. I have EQMOD and CdC to do that.

Luke,

You might be interested that we've been working on the EQMOD group to try and get SkySafari (TCP client) talking direct to EQMODLX (TCP server) via LX200/Celestron protocols over a wireless network (ad hoc or infrastructure). The basic functions of slew, Goto and sync do work but SkySafari doesn't seem to be very robust in its comms handling and disconnections are not uncommon at the moment. Still, I am actively working on it so there may come a point soon where those with ios/andorid devices can use SkySafari a supplemental interface to an essentially ASCOM automated mount.

Chris.

Edited by chrisshillito

Thanks Chris, but I can't see myself fiddling with a tiny Iphone in the dark, when I could be using my more manageable laptop! I don't really get the point. I guess it might be useful when one travels to a temporary site, and don't want to be lugging a load of gear.

That's fair enough - I agree that I can't really see the mobile devices (particularly phones) as representing an effective alternative to laptops / PC's, or indeed the mounts own handcontroller, when it comes to the routine control of a mount - but for some folks they might prove acceptable/occasional alternatives to a gamepad (albeit considerably less tactile).

I guess those doing outreach events might see some gimmick value in being able to point a phone up at the night sky, get a planetarium view of what's up there, pick a target and have the mount slew there.

Chris.

Skysafari on an iPad with its 10" screen, wireless to the mount has got to be the best and easiest way for novices. Very simple and intuitive... like a point and shoot camera,

NASA Swx, customisable space weather plots, amazing

Astromist, looks a bit dated, but is the best prog out there for PREDICTING stuff, rather than seeing what is going on any specific time

MoonHD, the only moon prog you need, photorealistic, see the phase, animate it, fly round the moon, you don't need the scope anymore!

SkySafari, as mentioned

3D sun is useful for alerts and nice videos

solar monitor, pretty good, but space wx nearly replaces it

See how you get on.

Cheers

PEterW

i use starwalk, the nasa app, stellarium, stars, planets, and PTTUniverse

all ok but starwalk is the best by miles

I'm fairly new the Stargazing world but I've found Starwalk on iPad fantastic.. Just gives you a simple confirmation of what you are actually looking at.

I'm sure there are more in depth Apps around but for simplicity Starwalk is great.

Edited by JJoolz

I have just downloaded " Luminos - Astronomy for iOS " for the iPad and it's seems the best I've seen so far.