SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Home Made Remote Controlled Filter Wheel

Gina

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been considering buying a router. There seem to be two categories - quarter inch and half inch. Of course, the quarter inch ones are much cheaper but would these be suitable for chewing the edge off 3mm ali plates? Or are they only suitable for wood?

I have only used a half inch router myself.

I would think it will be ok if you take it slow.

You have to ensure the diameter of the cutter is the same as the shaft size to make it work, or us a cutter with a matching size bearing.

Jason.

Hi Gina,

How do you propose to mount the router & aluminium plate prior to cutting to size.

I am saying this because if either the router or work-piece is not secure, the router

has a tendency to snatch, again this depends on what cutter you are going to use.

I suggest you look at Tungsten Burrs. They come in a variety of sizes - course medium & fine

and will achieve the job without the fear of the work-piece or router snatching.

Personally, having accurately marked out my profiles I would cut to shape with a jigsaw,

with a fine to medium metal blade. Then finish by filing the profiles to shape.

Much easier than using a router on metal. Dangerous things them routers....

cheers

Steve

Hi Gina,

How do you propose to mount the router & aluminium plate prior to cutting to size.

I am saying this because if either the router or work-piece is not secure, the router

has a tendency to snatch, again this depends on what cutter you are going to use.

I suggest you look at Tungsten Burrs. They come in a variety of sizes - course medium & fine

and will achieve the job without the fear of the work-piece or router snatching.

Personally, having accurately marked out my profiles I would cut to shape with a jigsaw,

with a fine to medium metal blade. Then finish by filing the profiles to shape.

Much easier than using a router on metal. Dangerous things them routers....

cheers

Steve

Thank you Steve :) Useful information and I think you may be right about aluminium plate and I aleady have an electric jigsaw :)

Got the belt drive sorted out now. Next thing will be to do the home position detection. I shall be using a roller lever micro switch and notch in the edge of the carousel with a sharp drop in and easy slope out to reduce drag on the wheel (as in my original design). I think this is simpler, easier, probably more accurate and reliable than other methods.

A bit more progress to report... Home position microswitch fitted and notch cut in carousel. I've also fitted the filters. Home/1 = Luminance, 3 = Ha and 4 = SII.

post-13131-0-95776900-1372514762_thumb.j post-13131-0-41934400-1372514770_thumb.j post-13131-0-13035300-1372514775_thumb.j

Re-assembled and provided the fixing for the camera adapter - 4mm tapped holes in the side plate with Allen screws and thick fibre washers. This system allows the screws to be slackened off to rotate the camera. Originally I was going to use the slots but they are only 2.5mm wide and I don't have a 2.5mm tap. Also, the slots only allow limited rotation without taking the screws right out and having an extra 3 tapped holes. With the new system the camera can be turned to any angle without taking screws out (and dropping them on the floor!).

Photos :-

1. Camera side.
  2. Scope side. Attaches to focal reducer 48mm male thread.
  3. The drive mechanism with "home" sensor microswitch.
  4. Other side showing microswitch mounting.

post-13131-0-61088600-1372599151_thumb.j post-13131-0-14154700-1372599157_thumb.j post-13131-0-49173900-1372599160_thumb.j post-13131-0-54072500-1372600370_thumb.j

Cut a piece of 5mm SS rod to 36mm long to provide the axle for the carousel and fitted it. Cut some pieces of foam rubber flooring tile offcuts to provide the wall between the side plates with notches for the pillars where needed. Then assembled it all. It's now in a state where I can use it for testing the ED80 alignment. Final job will be to construct, test and mount the electronics. Oh, and it'll want painting matt black (I don't have anodising facilities).

post-13131-0-93502500-1372681838_thumb.j post-13131-0-82004600-1372681846_thumb.j post-13131-0-42350200-1372681850_thumb.j

Archived