Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More testing, Mesu2/ODK14

ollypenrice

The near-full moon was right next to this target but I wanted to try the Trapezium in Yves' setup. These were only 5 min subs in bin2 (SXH36) and 20 of them. I layered in some subs of a minute and of 10 seconds as well. In a 7 Nm filter the moon has eaten up a lot of contrast but I was really only trying to remember what buttons to press and in what order on an all new system in terms of hardware and software. Surely I can find even more excuses?? Apart from the Trap the stars are untouched and were excluded from any post processing.

Olly

M42-20X5-AND-SHORTS-X2.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have been following these threads with interest, despite not being a member of the dark side :-). Some of these latest, very fast scopes do seem to be able to pull in the data much quicker. Guess the aperture also helps a bit!

Looks pretty good to me Olly, no excuses needed. Even the unprocessed stars seem to be round, and not oblate spheroids ;-)

What are the plans for this setup, is it permanent or just with you for an extended test period?

Look forward to seeing the results when you fully get to grips with it all

Cheers

Stu

Have been following these threads with interest, despite not being a member of the dark side :-). Some of these latest, very fast scopes do seem to be able to pull in the data much quicker. Guess the aperture also helps a bit!

Looks pretty good to me Olly, no excuses needed. Even the unprocessed stars seem to be round, and not oblate spheroids ;-)

What are the plans for this setup, is it permanent or just with you for an extended test period?

Look forward to seeing the results when you fully get to grips with it all

Cheers

Stu

Thanks Stu. Yves and I have launched this as a long term collaboration so the instrument will be based here for some time to come. It was Yves who hatched the plot.

Stellar processing is an interesting issue. If there are not too many stars in the field I try not to touch them as regards their sharpness. I feel the 'natural' look is best. However, in very dense starfields at shorter FL I do try to reduce them. I'm not as good at this as some people. In the case of the image above, I like that look and in any processing of my own I wouldn't touch them at all.

It will be very exciting to move into RGB when the moon goes. This is another arena altogether and controlling star bloat and colour balance are the hard parts. The ODK is not a pure reflecting system so the acid test will be how apochromatic the corrector turns out to be. Needless to say we've been looking at other ODK images and we have high hopes.

Olly

Sounds very exciting having such a potentially wonderful scope and mount under such wonderful skies, a cunning plan indeed. Hopefully we are in for a treat, although it all sounds hideously complex at the moment :-)

Good luck with it all. I shall sit patiently and 'observe' developments from afar.

Stu

[quoteHopefully we are in for a treat, although it all sounds hideously complex at the moment :-)

Stu

Honestly, no; bizzarely, this is the most 'plug and play' imaging rig I've ever used. That is not at all what I was expecting. Sure, we'd like to fathom the theoretical side of the guiding but if we don't I can't see it much matters.

Olly

Olly

There's good detail and lots of promise in your setup.

Looking at your image scale it would appear the displayed image is around 2.5 arc sec / pixel. With FWHM of around 3 pixels (very close to the 2D nyquist limit, so it could be just the displayed image) that equates to over 6 arc sec FWHM.

Have a look at my calibrated but non post processed image (~1 arc sec / pixel). Yes the trapesium is bloated out, but the stars around are a better guide. They are 6x6 pixels (typ) FWHM, with my DSLR (and bayering which is losing me a little resolution) that works out as almost 6x6 arc sec, which I feel is dreadful. I should be much nearer 2x2 arc seconds ultimately, which I have got close to using 5 second subs on my lodestar (so B&W)

I concider my system to be very rough.

No doubt, your images will get better as you continue tuning, In my opinion there's still quite a way to go, and I can't wait to see what you can achieve with this.

Derek

Note: no coma corrector yet, hence the comets.

M42_crop.jpg

Good input, Derek, thanks. Yves has worked out some new autoguider parameters so we'll try them tonight. I hope the seeing is settling after some unusual Mistrale. We'll aim a bit higher in the sky.

Dave, your wish is my command...

YVES-S.jpg

It looks a lot bigger when I stand next to it. Why do you suppose that is??

Oh, Dave, for a bit of fun I dropped the new data into the widefield we did on your visit. It tightens up the core more than a little! (2,400mm inserted into 328mm...)

M42-Ha-composite-Tak-ODK-X2.jpg

Fullsize of that one is here; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Nebulae-and-clusters/9252249_fgpT2j#!i=1666739520&k=t5Gqw59&lb=1&s=O

Olly

Olly,

Because it IS a beast!!

The last image looks brilliant with the widefield data dropped in, and I have to agree with Lewis the layering is seamless, and the core is spot on. RGB next when the moon has gone?

A question, did you just align the widefield and ODK image then layer the ODK image over the top of the widefield image with a blend mode?

Dave

Olly,

A question, did you just align the widefield and ODK image then layer the ODK image over the top of the widefield image with a blend mode?

Dave

Thanks guys. Dave, no, I used the Jerry Lodigruss layer masking technique found here; Compositing 2 Different Exposures via Layer Masks

It is a great technique for which Mr Lodigruss must be praised and exalted. Imaging aligning and resizing was done in Registar. What a programme that is.

Lewis, the ODK hs a 2.4metre FL (F6.8).

Olly

Thanks guys. Dave, no, I used the Jerry Lodigruss layer masking technique found here; Compositing 2 Different Exposures via Layer Masks

Sorry Olly, that was a really stupid question I asked.......what I really meant to ask was how you handled the the different image scales and size of images, but thanks you answered that anyhow........Registar is the answer, thanks.

Dave

Sorry I could resist! ;)

I have added a round star to the original image. :(

The stars are admittedly very good but there is a slight guiding error in there me thinks? :D

Of course, removing the nebula makes this more obvious and its nothing that I would complain about either! but for all the people on the forum that love round star and roundness, finally there is one, can you stop it!!!

I love the wide field M42 by the way. :icon_scratch:

post-15658-133877715418_thumb.jpg

Collimation is not 100% that we know ...

and some of those actually quite a lot are close doubles ...

...that is why they are not 100% round.

And maybe why not bit of flex on the system ...

The fact that a 10 minute and 30 minute sub deliver the same error excludes for me mount and guiding error for 99%,

but hey I'm just a starter in this hobby.

Or it could be black matter it is known to deform stars :-)

Yves.

Collimation is not 100% that we know ...

and some of those actually quite a lot are close doubles ...

...that is why they are not 100% round.

And maybe why not bit of flex on the system ...

The fact that a 10 minute and 30 minute sub deliver the same error excludes for me mount and guiding error for 99%,

but hey I'm just a starter in this hobby. Yves.

Dont worry I think its very good; I'm just having a go at the roundness campaign..! ;):):):):):):):):)

Considering you have just bought this system over to Olly's and setup it up etc... you're actually your doing very well. :icon_scratch:

But take closer look because I think its either a slight guiding error or flexure since it looks to me to be all in the same direction, from (W>W>S to N>N>E) as you look at the image.

I do however, really really envy your skies over there!!!

It still bl00dy cloudy here in Holland, and has been for the last couple of weeks!!!:D:mad::(:mad:

How to make friends and influence people....

Would be nice just to let these chaps have some peace to get on with what will be (already is) a very exciting project, and one that I am sure they have planned out in a very clear way all by themselves.

Cheers

Stu

I am going to get the ODK 20 now :icon_scratch::D

Jealous, nah...... not.

Can I come and have a play, let you have a go of my F2.8 newt :D

Well I do run a gite and B and B so the answer has to be yes!

Yves' new calculations for the optimal guide values have dramatically improved the tracking accuracy. I'm out there now.

I favour an EP collimation myself. Anyway an optical guru will be down here in the Spring and he'll put all such issues to bed.

Olly

Well I do run a gite and B and B so the answer has to be yes!

Yves' new calculations for the optimal guide values have dramatically improved the tracking accuracy. I'm out there now.

I favour an EP collimation myself. Anyway an optical guru will be down here in the Spring and he'll put all such issues to bed.

Olly

Want any tips on collimation ? :icon_scratch::D:D

Olly

Great!.. they'll be good enough to show up the focussing, collimation and chromatic errors now :icon_scratch:

Derek

Great!.. they'll be good enough to show up the focussing, collimation and chromatic errors now :(

Derek

Cor blimey, this setup is a magnet for the hypercritical!!!!:D:D:D

Wait till you see our real first light image, NG..... Whoa, I nearly gave the game away there! Sssshhhh..........:icon_scratch:

Olly

Archived