SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQMOD without an EQDIR module

EssexGazer

Hi Guys

I am successfully controlling my SW 250PDS and NEQ6 via EQMOD using the serial cable that came with my NEQ6. I simply plug it into available port on the Synscan hanset and everything is fine. My question is that in order to put the controller into 'PC Direct Mode' I had to have already entered location, time, etc. Can you tell me if this information is ignored as soon as it is switched in PC Direct Mode in favour of the settings within EQMOD.

Thanks

Merlin66 is correct, the EQMod via an EQDir interface collects the date and time from the PC clock and the location from its own previously entered records.

Unless you are using a GPS device such as the dongle from maplin. This was one of the issues I had the other week when the utility I used to sync the system clock on the PC to the GPS screwed up and set my system clock to August 2051 !! - but EQASCOM had correctly imported the data !!

It would be nice for CdC or other planetarium software to have a button that "sync time and date to EQASCOM" given that this is the application of choice for controlling a scope from a PC

Thanks, that's what I thought. Just wanted to check. Is there any reason why using the EQDIR module is any better than connecting serial via the handset?

Yes, quite simply that is the way EQMOD is designed to work. PC-Direct mode is an essentially undocumented feature of the synscan and synta/skywatcher. Although it appears to work fine with EQMOD (provided you're running the latest sysncan version) neither Synta, nor the EQMOD group, can guarantee this will always be the case. EQMOD is designed an developed based on the assumption that it has direct access to the mount and that it is the sole controlling device. Using an EQdirect module (usb or RS232) is the only way to guarantee this.

Chris.

Archived