Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

hi,

I take delivery of my new scope today and was just wondering if there was anything special I needed extra to look at the moon?

Cheers

Some folks find a filter helpful but I've never felt the need for one personally. I don't thing they should be viewed as mandatory. I'm loathed to put another piece of glass in the optical path unless I really need too.

The best views of the moon come before or after when it is full or near full, as the phase is either decreasing or increasing. The software Stellarium will tell you what phase the moon is at a particular time to help you plan your viewing.

Edited by John

The moon will significantly reduce contrast - but the stars are still visible, and it's always worth taking advantage of a clear sky when you get one.

Planets and double stars will not be affected much either.

Tim

Edited by West End Wendy

thanks, hopefully I will be graced with clear skys when I get home so I can set up the scope and give it a whirl! :(

I hardly ever use my filter for the moon, it does work but the glare is'nt that bad (full moon is a bit much but without a terminator pretty pointless viewing anyway).

Good moon map - the Sky and Telescope laminated moon map is well recommended on here. The lunar surface features are very very impressive through a scope and a decent guide to all those names and points of interest will extend the enjoyment and knowledge further.

At the moment sun glasses as its full and outshines everything!

Are sunglasses actually on option, if nothing more than to reduce glare so as to help retain your night adaptation?

SHA

Thanks for the link - is this better than Stellarium or similar but more focussed on the moon?

Very much more focused on the Moon, everything you need to know really

I just looked at the moon, ouch!! There goes my night vision!!

I think I need to invest in a filter! :(

You're lucky, it's like pea soup outside my window!

Very much more focused on the Moon, everything you need to know really

Great, will be useful when im spending time on the moon in the future :(

Great, will be useful when im spending time on the moon in the future :o

So when are you going into orbit then? :(:D:D:o

So when are you going into orbit then? :(:D:D:o

ha! could only afford a heritage flextube for now so a lunar orbit will have to wait! :o

Serious case of Lunar pollution in Humberside tonight. Had a quick look around M31, 32, 42, 45, Double Cluster, not very good at all chaps.

Yes, I think I shall be getting a filter too. Just tried viewing the full moon and I can still see the after image now, lol :(