Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help !!??

Hi everyone im not only brand spanking new to this site, but also to the wonderful world of astronomy...i have been lucky enough to witness many night skies around the world during my time with the military, but never really had time to take things further. Wasnt until my recent diagnosis of combat stress that my Dr told me i should take up a hobby to occupy my spare time...i did...photography which i very much enjoy. But it wasnt until a couple of weeks ago when Manchester was blessed with a rare, clear moonlit sky that the moon really captivated me. So much so i had to photograph it with my Sony A350 DSLR and 300mm lens. I realised then, that i really want to learn more and photograph more, and the more i read the more i want to look, learn and photograph!!!...I get the feeling im at the top a VERY slippery and expensive slope!!! haha

So this is where im asking for as much help and advise as possible!! It seems that there is so much information out there to read and digest, that its hard to know where is best to begin. Secondly, as i dont yet own a telescope im eager to buy one!!!...I am just managing to resist the temptations of just jumping in with both feet and purchasing something that i might later regret!!!

What im looking for is an ideal scope that has a good all round capability for deep space and planetary observation with an adequate mount with tracking capability for astrophotography (that i can mount my Sony A350 DSLR on) and it goes without saying i'll probably need GoTo technology too as i dont have a clue where to look!!!

Ive done a bit of research and i have a budget of around £1000 to £1500. However there are so many makes and models out there i dont know what to do for the best as there are pros and cons to them all. I want to be able to buy something that is at least going to last me for a few years and will help me on my journey of discovery.

Any help advise and pointer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi Rhino... & welcome to the forum.

A Skywatcher 200PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount would seem to suit.

Great for visual use... nothing like seeing things with your own eyes... & as it is also suited to photography with the Go-To & tracking

Hi there

Welcome to the forum

Are you requiring a portable rig or are you planning a permenant set up?

I ask because for visual deep sky observing you need aperture, and for DS imaging you need a very heavy duty EQ mount.

Put these together and you have a huge heavy beast that is not portable.

Often the best way is to separate imaging and observing. Going with an HEQ5 and 80ED for imaging and a mid sized Dob for visual.

This would keep it semi portable if required.

Regards Steve

Hi and welcome to the forum, just take your time, try to locate an Astro club/group near to you and go and check out the kit. Also heed the advice you have been given is all I can add to your questions.

Hi everyone

Firstly, thank you for such a warm welcome and all the help!!

In reply to Tich and Swampthing, thanks for your recomendations, certain has given me something to think about they both appear to be very good telescopes and mounts. In addition to these, would i need to get additional eyepieces??...and if so which ones would be best?? Ive also been reading about 'barlows'...which from my understanding double magnification???...are these also a necessity?? Another querie i have...and please exuse my ignorance...but if i wish to take photo's with my dslr amd i right in saying the camera attaches to the eyepiece once i have aligned and focussed via an adaptor ring?? or does attach vi the base of the scope? One last thing is...apart from the obvious webcam, what equipment and software would i need in order for me to record images to my laptop. Thanks again

Swampthing, in answer to your question, i take your point and quite agree, i think id be looking for the best of both worlds and look at semi portable. Could you elaborate on the 80ED etc is that skywatcher?

Initially i was looking at Nexstar 8, which looks like a good package however i do reservations about mount stability as it is only a single arm support which i think will render it susceptible to vibrations. So definitely i will need something more robust and stable.

The way i see it, is i want to have the best value for money, and a setup that i will be able to understand as a novice but will still be able to produce some great images, with the capability to take it up into the Penines. Im not worried if its heavy or bulky...im a strong lad with 3 sons who WILL help!!! hahaha

Yes the 80ED is a Skywatcher refractor with a great reputation for producing some excellent images. Check out some of the images in the imaging section.

Your best bet for advice on imaging is to put up a post in that section there are some pretty reasonable imagers on there :o that will steer you exactly where you want to go.

Personally I would start visually before I attempted the imaging side. Visually you can start out with simple kit that takes seconds to set up. A DS imaging rig is not gonna be grab n go, I can assure you of that. Most are just about portable at best.

It's not the size that's the pain, it's the accuracy of the tracking that requires the mount to be pretty carefully aligned. This takes an age until you get used to it, or die trying.:(

Regards Steve

Thanks again swampthing,

Another lesson learned re the difficulties of alignment...something i should defo take into consideration. I also take your point about getting to grips with setting up and observing first before imaging and its certainly the way i'll be going about it. However, i dont want buy a rig that 6mths or a year down the line doesnt have the capabilities i want it to have. So that is why im trying to find an all-rounder... if you see what i mean?

Try getting yourself a copy of "Making every photon count" this is the Astro imagers bible.

This will give you some insight into what is required for DS imaging.

An 80ED cannot compete visually with a larger newt. But kicks serious butt as an imaging tool.

A large newt rules as a visual scope but is hard work to image with. Specially as a mobile set up.

Mobile DS imaging is not easy, that's why most do it from an obsy or the back yard.

Regards Steve

Haha hi Steve, thanks again for your help, really is appreciated.

Just been reading about 'Making every photon count' on another post...small world eh!! Think i'll making an investment there. Ive just downloaded 'Regi Stax' too...not that i have clue how to use it yet!!!

Looking at the 80ED and the 250P i think i can see what you mean...if only i could have them both!!! I guess i have to decide where i want to begin..observing or imaging.

I dont suppose you could tell me what sort of things i could observe and image through the 80ED and to what sort of quality? I really dont have a clue!! :0(

Regards Jamie

Archived