Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dob options and 300p questions

Have been a long time away from observing and from the forum! Basically, although I never had lots of time for observing, I did manage to get out from time to time, including to a nice dark sky spot with local SGL-ers :(. Then I think I made a bit of mistake in a scope upgrade, and went for a goto dob. I know it's not a big job to set up, but it's still a disincentive if you don't have much time, and I did actually miss the hunt of starhopping.

So I'm now wondering whether to go back to a manual dob. If so, I'd then need to decide - down to a nice light easy to grab 8", or stick with the trusty 10" as I have now, or go up to a 12".

Speaking of the 12", does anyone have any specs for the Skyliner 300p solid, such as length of OTA, weight and diameter of base? Couldn't find it anywhere - it's not on FLO's site, or on Skywatcher's own, though it's listed on RVO. Do Skywatcher still make this, or only the flextube 12"?

Hi Michael

I will give my normal advice when asked this question.

If its gonna be your big scope and you are unlikely to go bigger, but you may get a smaller one to compliment it later. Go for the 12".

If however you envisage a large scope later get the 10"or the 8" as they'll be great for times when using a large scope is not practical.

An 8" or 10" are great mid size scopes perfect for occasions like this. And for portability just right.

The 12" is obviously a more powerful stand alone option but not as portable.

Good luck with your choice

Regards Steve

Archived