Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Oxfordshire - Video of our sidewalk astronomy. Next Stargazing Live event 14th Jan

melsky

Hi

Here is a link to a video shot by our local TV station of our very successful sidewalk astronomy evenings on the 2nd & 3rd January, we were blessed with clear skies both nights.

SIDEWALK ASTRONOMY

Our next public Stargazing Live observing event is at the Rollright Stones (our dark sky site) on the 14th Jan, we had Mark Thompson here a couple of months ago filming a piece for the BBC programmes.

We must be the only astronomical group observing from not only a late Neolithic ceremonial Stone Circle dating from 2500 to 2000 BC but also a location site used on Dr Who (Tom Baker - the best)

The Stones of Blood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BBC - Things To Do: Stargazing at the Stones

Come and join us, don't forget to bring a very long scarf, leave the sonic screwdriver at home :(

Mel

Hi there, I'd be very interested in attending this event if thats ok as im quite eager to go to one and this is relatively local to me, was there on saturday buying my scope!

Is there a site with more info, ie times or would it be possible to pm me any relavant info,

many thanks, tom

I'll be there. my family are sick so Im coming on my own. Whats it like for parking there?

There's only enough room for 12-15 cars, but people should be coming and going throughout the evening, see you there.

Mel

Hi there, I'd be very interested in attending this event if thats ok as im quite eager to go to one and this is relatively local to me, was there on saturday buying my scope!

Is there a site with more info, ie times or would it be possible to pm me any relavant info,

many thanks, tom

OX7 5QB is the postcode, and the times are between 6 and 10.

Hope you can make it.

I'm am busy layering on the clobber and digging out my sons hiking boots and hat!

Mel - silly question, but as it's dark - am I going to be parking up and wondering where the hell everyone is, or will it be somewhat obvious and you won't be hard to find?

lol and I just had the brainwave of taking off my pile of clothes, wearing minimal to drive there and then getting wrapped up after Ipark up. Genius me!

Dont suppose we are pubbing it for hot steaming food afterwards are we?

We had a great night and it was good to meet some fellow SGL'rs there but blimey it was cold.

This was our third event already this year and the third clear night in a row, we had 120 - 150 members of the public there, most of whom seem to have been given a torch for Christmas.

Made for a nice photo though :).

Next event 31st Jan check link for details

BBC - Things To Do: Cotswold Stargazing Evening

Mel

6700898631_d2484ae207_b.jpg

Oh I love all the colours!

It was a superb night and I was very pleased to meet you Mel and Alex (Astrosurf) and all the others whose names I didn't catch.

It was a very enjoyable evening, the sky was beautiful and full of sparkle. We were lucky with the weather for sure.

I drove home, parked up, looked up and was disappointed with the lack of stars! Damn you LP.

Can't wait for the next meet.

That looks great. I really wanted to come along now I've finally got my own scope, but I don't drive. How feasible would joining be given that I'd be dependent on the X9 to get to Chippy for meetings etc? Probably I'd not be able to get home. This is what's stopped me joining for 5 or 6 years now.

Asif is that you?

(I told a buddy at work about this place, and he's just got a new scope and doesnt drive - you never know, it can be an awfully small sometimes).

Nope. That's not me :)

Mel - The meet from Saturday and your fabulous piccy was on Star Gazing Live last night - but I'm sure you saw it anyway. I nearly jumped off the sofa when I saw it!

Dodge - yeah definately, its a fantastic place to see. I'm a back garden observer too :D

Wow - didn't realise there were some many local astronomers. I'm in Leafield and observe from my back garden, but I really ought to get down to the Rollright Stones and be a bit more sociable!

I'm just down the road from you in Charlbury, I expect you get better views than I do!

Hey Mel, kudos on getting the time-lapse pic you've posted here onto the second Stargazing Live programme. Brill!! I bounced up and down on the sofa clapping my hands like a little kiddy. :D

Nice to meet you too sanmatt! It was a fantastic evening.

Alexxx

Archived