Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mk-III Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Clickstop Zoom

Caldwell 14

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pentax XL 8-24 zoom is reputed to be pretty special but you pay more than twice the price of the Hyperion for that:

First Light Optics - Pentax XL 8-24mm Zoom

I had the Hyperion 8-24 for a while and thought it a very good zoom, for someone who is not a fan of zooms generally. It did not seem quite as good as the fixed focal length Hyperions but very close and the flexibility is a very useful asset.

the hyperion is a highly rated zoom which is one of the reasons why i got one, arrived today:D, the other reason is no fumbling in the dark changing eyepieces.

i doubt whether i'll get to use it for a while as the forcast is cloud for the next few days.

I have the same zoom (best thing i ever did for me!! and works great with my tal 2 x barlow) and had a 8mm Baader Hyperion 68 degree (still nice ep).

I sent the Baader Hyperion 68 degree back. i just didnt see any difference with the views. but i felt the zoom was more comfy. but everyones eyes are different!

But i'm no pro :(

I have the same zoom (best thing i ever did for me!! and works great with my tal 2 x barlow) and had a 8mm Baader Hyperion 68 degree (still nice ep).

I sent the Baader Hyperion 68 degree back. i just didnt see any difference with the views. but i felt the zoom was more comfy. but everyones eyes are different!

But i'm no pro :(

There is no difference at 8mm, they are both 68 degrees.

Moving towards the 24mm end, the difference is more noticeable as the FOV narrows and the field stop gets fuzzy. Here the fixed length EPs win it for me.

However the zoom is still a great EP :o

Was trying it on the moon, and didn't notice it get fuzzy at 24mm.

I guess it's like that on planets maybe?

As for the FOV narrows! at 24mm, i didn't see this as a big problem really.. but like i said im no pro :( it suits me fine. i'm sure a good 24mm ep would be better. i cant say my self, as not tried any other 24mm ep :o

My Hyperion zoom has just arrived :o I'm looking forward to testing it. Guess I'll have to make do with terrestrial for the time being as there seems little chance of getting a clear sky for a day or two, but who knows, the weather forecast is often wrong :(

I have a 28mm 2" EP that came with the scope for wide angle views - that is superlative :p

Meanwhile I'm abating my frustration with the weather by pushing on with fitting out my warm room - takes my mind of it a bit knowing that at least I'm making progress.

What I have noticed about the zoom is that the zoom adjustment is rather stiff and I can't feel the click stops. I can just about hear them though. Not that the click stops matter much.

got mine on saturday gina and havent had the chance to use it yet:( and the forecast is not that great here either. and would agree too about the clickstop, not very noticeable but wont affect its performance.

The "Click" is very subtle on the Baader Zoom V3 - the V2 it's a little more pronounced. They tend to loosen up a little in the warmer nights - well mine did at least. Oh and I think it's the only one with a twist up eyecup :(

(It's definitely a better bet over an eyepiece set and for not much more - much higher quality - but single stop ep's do tend to be a little better as usual)

finally got to use mine, finished work at 12 tonight, nice clear sky all evening so when i got home i set everything up and gave the zoom a go.

must say i'm very happy with it, and no fumbling around changing eyepieces either. the only thing that ruined it though was the moon, man it was so bright.:icon_scratch:

The moon was out and shining brightly between areas of cloud when I went out to feed the livestock just after 6 this morning. Forecast seems promising for the next few nights :icon_scratch: So I'm hoping to try mine on celestial objects tonight. I tried it on a couple of distant terrestrial objects yesterday and it looked very promising :D

Hello. I appreciate the feedback on this EP.

I'd been contemplating a new EP for my still new skywatcher 10" Dob; I think I've found it!

I'm pretty sure they have a 2", if I remember correctly.

Traveling next week but I'll post a newb report once I get a chance to use it!

...I'm pretty sure they have a 2", if I remember correctly....T

The Mk III versions come with a 2" barrel option but the zoom is a 1.25" eyepiece. Some folks like the security that using a 2" barrel brings.

Yes, I have it on a 2" Crayford plus 80mm extension and it's really solid :) Only tried it on terrestrial objects so far though. They even provide an adapter to take a T2 adapter for a DSLR which replaces the eye shield. They recommend a 40mm T2 extension tube for the camera though, which I now have but haven't tried yet.

Glad I found this thread as I was now looking at the Hyperion zoom whereas before I was virtually sold on a couple of fixed focal length Hyperions. Maybe a 24mm and a 8mm, but if I can get just one eyepiece that covers many sizes, but only costs £70 more then I may now seriously consider it.

Although are the zooms a good idea? Do they work well? I usually find that if something is made to cover various functions then there will be an inherent shortfall in its capabilties by virtue of the fact that it has to perform lots of funtions ok rather than one function well.

Also I have a Celestron Ultima 2x barlow. Don't know if the Hyperion zoom would work ok with it?

There are a few compromises with the Hyperion zoom but they are quite slight and for many the flexibility outweighs them.

I found the fixed focal length Hyperions were slightly sharper and had less light scatter than the zoom. The zooms field of view narrows to 50 degrees at 24mm which is ideally where you would want a wider field of view.

If you want outright optical performance over flexibility then fixed focal lengths are probably the way to go. If you are happy to accept a small compromise then the zoom is a good option.

Archived