Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Moon, 5th January 2012

Takahashi

I had been busy moaning about the weather earlier tonight, but popped out around 10 o'clock only to see that most of the

fuzzy **** that was there at 7pm was all but gone. So, got set-up and took 59 (!) vids to ensure I didn't get the same

"hole in the Moon" issue as the last time I captured this phase, and about an hour and a half later I was finished. Taking

so many vids really was overkill, and resulted in me chasing the rotation of the Moon as it arced its way across the sky,

probably duplicating some vids in the process, and resulted in some annoying tiling artefacts, some of which are still

apparent even after cropping some of the stacked images. I've also over-exposed slightly, not intentional and not toooo bad,

but kinda annoying. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, the sky was still a bit ****, varying from nearly-clear just after 10pm, through fuzzy, actually wispy cloud, back to

nearly clear again, and finally, fuzzy halo mush again by the time I was done. This lack of transparency didn't help resolution,

but even so, I'm happy to finally have got some kind of result for the first time in AGES.

Gear :

FLT110 on EQ6

DMK21 Mono through 2X Powermate

Process :

59 x 2000 (640x480) frame AVIs captured with DMK, and batch-stacked in Avistack 2.0 (using the best 15% from 2000). The

resulting 59 x (640x480) 16-bit TIFFs were then tiled in MS-ICE, and the single full-size image post-processed thus :

Local contrast boost & medium sharp/max texture sharpened in PS5 with Noel Carboni's Astro Tools.

Edge enhance sharpening in PSP9.

Highlight recovery in Lightroom 3.3 (only partial success due to over-exposure).

The%20Moon%205-1-12%20%28resized%29.jpg

The%20Moon%205-1-12%20%28full%20size%29.jpg

Thanks guys. :(

Jove, it took just short of two hours to capture the vids, and another two or more hours to stack them. I'd set the capture software to work

at 30 frames per second, so just over a minute per video, but repositioning the scope for each frame took quite some time and precision. I may

change tactics next time, and use 1000 frames @ 60fps and stack maybe 30% of the 1000. The lighting and phase must change quite

significantly within 2 hours, so at these settings I should be able to take about 30 vids instead of nearly double that, and at almost half the capture time.

Thanks again. :icon_scratch:

Eid, not sure about the SCT resolution thing... I had one back in the 80's but never had the technology (Mono CCD camera & laptop etc) attached to it to attempt this kind of thing.

Thanks again. :icon_scratch:

Eid, not sure about the SCT resolution thing... I had one back in the 80's but never had the technology (Mono CCD camera & laptop etc) attached to it to attempt this kind of thing.

Guess I'll just have to try it out!

Thanks Ivor.

Fantastic is word i would use and so is Amazing and also Stunning and Superb not to mention Awesome these are without question some of the best shots iv'e ever seen of our very own moon. very well done sir :D:icon_scratch:

Archived