SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar film, and which recommended filters?

SteveL

OK, with that annoying yellow thing in the sky hanging around longer during the day, I took the plunge and purchased a full aperture Solar film cap for my NS8GPS... and now it hasnt stopped raining for three days straight (sorry!).

Anyway, like most other objects, it must respond better when viewed with certain filters. As my current filter collection is a little on the small side (err... 1), I was wondering what filters you would recommend to bring out the best of Solar viewing?

Discuss :police:

If you are happy to observe 'Sun Spot' activity Steve, then a 'white light' solar filter is all you need.

The cheapest option is of course the Baader Solar Film (about £15 a sheet, I think). However, I wanted something a little more durable, and went for the Thousand Oaks Type ll glass filter, which I attach to my ED80.

I don't know that any coloured eyepiece filters USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A PROPER SOLAR FILTER COMPLETELY COVERING THE OBJECTIVE LENS, would actually enhance what you see.

The next step-up, is of course to move into viewing the Sun through a very narrow band Hydrogen Alpha (Ha) filter. These are unfortunatley VERY expensive, and by far the cheapest way to go, is with the Coronado PST, albeit still around £440.

This will show surface detail and prominences.

Apologies for capitalising the bit of text above, I'm not trying to 'teach granny to suck eggs', but less well informed people might read this, and our eyes are too valuable to put at any risk.

Dave

The capitalising is always a good idea when talking about pointing a scope at the sun. I`ll stick with the white light for now (I have the solar filter film across the front), and see what else I can find out.

(Hell, its bonus time, so I might splash out...)

Steve

If you can wait until Kelling i will have my Pst there and you can have a play with it then.

I also use a AE white light glass filter with the Baader filter and you can make out some more detail with it as it gives a green image rather than a white one.I think this is because your eyes are more receptive to green light (I may well be wrong though)

I was going to look at the PSTs at the Spring Kelling Heath, but the fog ruled that one out. The Baader Solar Continuum filter does indeed have a narrow green filter line, which is smack on the most sensitive part of the human eye, allowing them to see more detail.

I don't mean to steal the thread but my question is too similar to start a new one.

I would like to check out some views of the sun with what I already got, as I cant afford a PST. I was looking on FLO at the Baader AstroSolar Safety Film and the Sol Vu Full Aperture Solar filters.

How would I keep the film held properly on the front of my scope?

The full aperture filters are a bit on the steep side for me right now @ £27 + £22. :)

Archived