Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Dumbell Vs The Ring

AndyMac

Your favourite of the two planetaries is...........  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Your favourite of the two planetaries is...........

• The Ring nebula (M57)
    • The Dumbell nebula (M27)

Thought this may make an interesting poll.....plus I'm bored! yawn.gif

Well two of the sky's best planetary nebulae are well placed for observing in the summer sky. These are M27, the Dumbell nebula & M57, the Ring nebula.

dumbell1.jpgring.jpg

Both have their own attractions. With M57 you have the challenge of trying to see the central star. For M27, the 'ears' of the Dumbell can be a challenge.

So do you have a favourite out of these two planetaries? If so, do vote in the poll & post your reasons for doing so on this thread. :)

Well I'll kick the voting off as I set up the poll.

Although I have a great liking for the Ring, my vote goes to the Dumbell. To me it just appears as more of a showpiece nebula (it is also easier to image! :)); being both bigger & brighter than the Ring IMO. Also, this object takes on the shape of its nickname, a shape which is very clearly defined in most telescopes on even a mediocre night.

So it's: The Dumbell 1: The Ring 0. :)

The ring nebula is my most chosen object out in the field just the buzz of getting the central star is enough for a great evening's observering.

M27 you know i have some what over looked this great planetry Nebula and must take more time to look at it, only recently i have ventured looking at it so much alas getting great views.

For now i will after go with the ring M57 for the reason's above i may change my mind over the next couple of months plus i have never imaged m27 or tried so who knows...:)

Good poll again Andy!

James :)

The 'Daddy' of them all costs about £400.00! That's the Lumicon Giant Off Axis Guider. It's certainly a superior model to most. Mine's merely an Orion Ultraguider - but it does the job pretty well - though finding a guide star of suitable brightness near a DSO is often a problem!

Andy it has to be M57 here mate... you and I have history on this one!!!.

You helped me find it!!... back in the days of Space-Talk, 2001 I think?.

Rob

Not any more 3:2 to the ring.

The ring taken into context with a low power view is simply stunning. Looked at it the other day with the new 32mm 2" EP and it was truly stunning.

Also think the the ring is better in imaging (for me) with a big FOV.

Ant

The Ring is okay, always take a quick look before moving on. But never been on my fav list. It does look nice when imaged though, especially when done with a knockout kit that can get a decent image scale. The structure and colour is amazing.

Russ

It's strange cause I think the the ring looks better when you have plenty of sky around it. I think that the close up shots lose something when compared to the big FOV jobbies.

Thank god were all different eh!

Ant

Hi Ant,

I took some images of M57 last week. Wasn't going to do anything with them but you've got me interested. They didn't look that good on the camera, so never bothered with them.

15 images stacked. Taken with the Skymax, EQ6 and 300D.

M57-wide.jpg

M57-2.jpg

Russ

Not that happy with them. As usual it was a rush. Spur of the moment sort of thing. Load of noise from the camera, not enough images to stack.

8 x 30secs

7 x 40secs

I'll try it again but with the f6.3 focal reducer. Get that widefield look you like.

Russ

That must have been with the Intes then if your going to stick on a F3.3 reducer!

I'm not sure when the next clear night is going to be over this way. But at least the darkness is getting earlier now. Next time out I'm going to give M57 a try with 30 second subs and just loads and loads of them.

Finally managed to get DSLR focus to operate the camera OK. The minimum amount of time that I can delay between shots is 18 seconds... So every 30 second shot takes 48 seconds. Maybe try and spend an hour on M57 should get something worth while...

Ant

No with the Skymax. Bern sent through the adapter so i can use 2" accessories and also SCT accessories. Tried it last Friday with the Celestron F6.3 reducer and it works a treat.

Russ

Nice images russ, like Ant the first one appeals to me more i think issolating the ring nebula takes away some of it's beauty.

Look forward to seeing yours and Ants next efforts, the canon 300d does take nice imags doesnt it.

James

Archived