Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GPS

Rover

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this but mounts seemed to be the best option.

I have a Skywatcher 127 Mak on the Alt Az GOTO mount. I was giving thought to getting GPS. I have the Synscan handset which is on the latest firmware so I think it woiuld work. Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone use the GPS below or able to recommend anything else?

Skywatcher GPS Mouse for V3 Handset | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

I don't have an fancy phone or anything else that I could use an an alternative. I am planning on being quite active and getting out and about with my scope so thought this would be a good option with me not being able to plan beforehand.

That looks very expensive!

I am sure someone will come along to refute or conferm but just had a look at Maplins GPS dongle item A73AF at £19.99 and since it has NMEA 0183v3 I think it will be ok for your needs. I am sure I have read in a thread somewhere that is what you need. You could try the search thread etc, I am sure it will still be there.

Boyd

If you are using a laptop with your scope then a GPS dongle like the one from Maplins will be enough. But if you want it to set location/time on the go without a laptop then you need one that works with the socket on the V3 handset - I don't know of any except the official ones but that does not mean there aren't any!

Thanks for all your replies. I did a quick search of the forums for gps but couldn't find any threads on it.

The dongle would probably do the job as I usually have my laptop to hand. Do you know if the software that comes with it gives the location in minutes as well as degrees as I would have no internet connection to be able to do the conversion?

I have the Maplin dongle, it just works with EQMOD/ASCOM (I didn't try the software) and does better than that :) Position to a tenth of a second of arc. It gives elevation too.

I'm not using an EQ mount. Would I still be able to install that software to give me my position from the USB dongle in seconds to input manually or would I need other software?

If I need something else does anyone have anything they can recomend that I can use please?

Thanks for the screenshot malc. Are there any settings you can change in the software to give you the longitude and latitude in arcseconds when you are offline and not connected to the internet?

If it give long and lat in degrees offline I could probably work with that but it would mean making a note of them and then converting when I got home where I have a web connection for my next visit.

When the dongle is connected it reads H:M:S for both long and lat. You can then manually enter these co-ordinates into the handset, or astronomy program. If you use EQMOD you don't need to have the maplins app running, just click on the GPS button, then the read from GPS button and OK to close the window. All the data is then imported in EQMOD.

There are also apps for syncing the PC system time from the local GPS device, but the freeby I downloaded put my PC 40 years ahead of its time !!!

Thanks for the screenshot malc. Are there any settings you can change in the software to give you the longitude and latitude in arcseconds when you are offline and not connected to the internet?

If it give long and lat in degrees offline I could probably work with that but it would mean making a note of them and then converting when I got home where I have a web connection for my next visit.

I've re-read this and not sure what you mean.

The GPS dongle obtains it's positions directly from the satellites orbiting the Earth, this is then read by EQASCOM, and WinStars2. Internet connection is not required, other than to connect to google maps to show you where you are when using the NS100 software.

As most of the astronomy programs want the position of the observer in normal Hrs, Min and seconds for long and lat. Can't see why you would need to convert these to a degrees

I've pulled the dongle from the observatory hub and connected it here for a more detailed screen shot.

post-23388-133877714143_thumb.jpg

I've re-read this and not sure what you mean.

The GPS dongle obtains it's positions directly from the satellites orbiting the Earth, this is then read by EQASCOM, and WinStars2. Internet connection is not required, other than to connect to google maps to show you where you are when using the NS100 software.

As most of the astronomy programs want the position of the observer in normal Hrs, Min and seconds for long and lat. Can't see why you would need to convert these to a degrees

I've pulled the dongle from the observatory hub and connected it here for a more detailed screen shot.

Velocity 2.6 km/h ? You were walking/running whilst taking the screenshot :(

Archived