Making the mount East side heavy - When?

swag72

I was just wondering about the balance of the scope and know that it is best to make it heavy towards the east so that the DEC always has something to work against.

My question is whether you make the weight movement before or after calibration?

No expert, but I would say before.

Your scope obviously will be imaging an object east of your local meridian from the west side of the mount, and the weight bias is towards the counterweights, as you rightly say, to keep the drive engaged in a pushing role on the RA drive. The imbalance must not be excessive though, which I'm sure you will be aware of. If you are imaging an object west of your meridian, then the opposite actions must be made.

:)

Ron.

Sara, I just balance mine as normal, then make it slightly weight side heavy, then just leave it like that until putting a new scope on the mount.

Works for me, and I haven't noticed it guiding any worse or better either side of a meridian flip. :)

Archived