Narrowband

Stargazing Live 2012: Flag Fen

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you go along to watch the event I suggest getting there early with a couple of good sized generators and some high intensity flood lights. Makes getting photographs etc easier. :):eek:

Sure they won't object.;):D:D

Lets be more positive, I can normally see Jupiter when I finish work.

With a light filter it might help..... or not.

I've noticed the council has started turning the street lights off in the industrial area, that may help.

Maybe Peterborough Council should have a war exercise and have a blackout on the 16th.

Ok I admit, I have had a couple of pints, so random ideas are popping up now.

What to do in Northumberland

Stargazing Live

Watch out for for events happening around Northumberland in the next couple of weeks starting on the 13th of Jan at Druridge Bay - We will post as many here so keep coming back to check.''

Maybe Peterborough Council should have a war exercise and have a blackout on the 16th.

Ok I admit, I have had a couple of pints, so random ideas are popping up now.

I'm actually the senior emergency planning officer for the area so I'll see what I can do! :icon_scratch:

Thought I'd better update you on the Flag Fen event... now that we finally have all the details...

The Peterborough A.S. were asked to contribute to the Stargazing Live event at Flag Fen, Peterborough on Monday 9th January. The event will start at 6pm and carry onto 9pm.

The A.S. will have a number of telescopes inside for static displays, along with numerous information boards about astronomical objects including images taken by our members. If the weather is fine, we will have a Dob & refractor outside.

Please see the flyer attached for further information.

For directions to Flag Fen (Bronze Age site) see here

The Peterborough A.S can be seen here

Fingers crossed for us!

Phil

post-12910-13387771563_thumb.jpg

post-12910-133877715638_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to this :D

I'm going to be coming along with my Son for a few hours - I'll be the one in a stargazerslounge.com hat :(

Ant

Finally, Ant! a meeting :icon_scratch:

I should be by the 10" Carbon Fibre Newt...

Phil

I'll never understand why they pick Last Quarter for an even like this...

They want to promote the hobby and know that kids are going to be a large percentage of the visitors... so they make it at a time when the moon isn't around.

Ant

I was up there for 6:05 - and got home at around 8pm. I alos live only about 10 minutes away.

There were A LOT of people... there was however no one by the 10" carbon fibre newt... I went back three of four times and even asked a guy dressed as a Roman :D

Just to prove it :)

It was also very moist - something that I'm getting used to slowly now that I live in the Fens... the moisture in the air is dire!

That's why that last image is a little soft - as soon as I went in doors the lens misted up!!!

Anyhow, here are a few other images that I managed to grab - not great, left the tripod in the car! So these are all hand held resting against things... The first and second images were a few seconds at ISO 1600. The third and fourth were ISO400 10 seconds each.

Well done to PAS for a great event - although I suspect that they were surprised by the numbers?

Cheers

Ant

Archived