Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

STEMNET

sanmatt

Are any of you folks STEM ambassadors? I'm an NHS Healthcare Science ambassador so nowt to do with astronomy, mines biomedicine/pathology. But I often see requests from schools for astronomers or speakers. And I thought of you.

Have a look on www.stemnet.org.uk see if it's your thing. They only ask that you give one day per year, but you can do as much as you llike. And you dont need to be a teacher or a professor of any sort. In fact they call for anyone who has interest and passion for their subjects.

I try to do an event/activity every month, for me I can submit it to the IBMS and claim CPD credits but I also enjoy working with the kids on subjects close to my heart.

Yes,

I'm a STEM ambassador for the North East region. It's great fun and very rewarding. I'm not a professional astronomer but can still offer a certain level of knowledge in the subject which teachers seem to appreciate.

If you have some spare time and want to do something for your locally community in an astronomically related subject then I would definitely recommend STEMnet. They will look after most of the admin leaving you just to do what you enjoy (talking about the stars).

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

I've just joined too. In fact my CRB approval came through this morning :) I did the induction training last week, which in itself was fun. Our project was about going to Mars, building a Mars rover (I nearly lost a couple of fingers when our propellor launched itself off the back of our buggy :)), UV light protection and a biosphere.

I'm looking forward to getting more involved.

Helen

• 2 years later...

I'm a STEM Ambassador for South Lanarkshire.  Will give talks on general astronomy to public groups and schools and to Astronomical Societies on Solar Observing.  Prefer to stick to Scotland unless someone can put up the dog as well as me :grin:

• 1 month later...

Are any of you folks STEM ambassadors?

Yes: currently Wilts & Dorset, need to get onto Hampshire list as well, as I live on the boundary of the three counties. I already (pre-STEM) do astro volunteering in my local primary school and also do stints in other schools in Wilts & Dorset.

• 4 months later...

STEM Ambassador for West Midlands. Have to fit it around work but it is very rewarding. I tend to stick to my background in engineering but more or less anything goes, tbh.

Also on my daughter's school's PTA and helping manage conversion of some derelict ground into a nature garden for them at the moment... amazing how much help you can get from people if you go with a specific project in mind - the local B&Q are being very generous.

Great thread - I think it is something most people on here could contribute to.

• 2 months later...

* Grumble *

Starting to get frustrated with STEMNet - I have arranged a few sessions with a local school to help teach physics to primary school students: talking about "why does the moon change shape" with yr 1 (5-6yo) yesterday, with a great Q&A session afterwards, and going back on Monday to talk about the lives of stars with yr 5 (9-10yo). Spoke to the local organisers (now being run by Entrust as a profit-making venture) and was asked to fill in forms so they could claim the funding!!! I wouldn't mind if Entrust put the money back into education but why on earth should a profit-making venture get government funding for something I organised myself???

Anybody know how the STEM funding model works? If these providers get paid per STEM session delivered, it is time STEMNet (or at least the local provider) and I parted company. 

Archived