SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Viewing Tonight

Despite clear sky viewing does not seem that good tonight, wondered what experience everyone else had. Jupiter and moon very bright and that may have been the problem. No success in finding M36, M37 and M38 after searching for some time. Site does suffer from some LP. Did manage to find M31 and the Orion Nebula a few days ago for the first time.

Maybe I have to write tonight off as poor conditions!

Skywatcher Skyliner 150

tonight started of ok here, but quite quickly become very poor. The moon had a large halo around it taking up a large part of the sky and that in itself was acctualy great too look at, but viewing is bad tonight here too.

fingers crossed for some better skies soon:)

Despite clear sky viewing does not seem that good tonight, wondered what experience everyone else had. Jupiter and moon very bright and that may have been the problem.

Some astronomers look on the Moon a little parochial and many as a major source of light pollution - which it is if you are into DSOs! (Some of us have the days on and around a New Moon highlighted in our calendars!). ;)

I've become a bit more relaxed about this lately and have learned to re-embrace the Moon. Today I spent a very relaxed evening wandering up and down the terminator.

Cheer up, there will be plenty of time for Messier objects later in the evening (when Luna sets) or later in the month.

Meanwhile, download yourself a copy of the free Virtual Moon Atlas. :)

Sky seemed very clear here (southern Sweden), but through binoculars you could see the LP shining on a faint cloud layer. M42 looked faint and weak compared to a few nights ago, and M36-38 were nowhere to be seen ;)

Jupiter's moons were nice and clear though :)

And then the cloud rolled in :(

Jupiter was very poor compared to last night, think there must be some very faint and wispy cloud about.

Also what does everyone else do when they get caught out by rain? Fortunately my scope wasn't vertical at the time, but I very quickly shoved it down to horizontal and went inside to get the covers before bringing it inside. The cloud didn't look like a rain cloud.

I must have been lucky in Ipswich (UK)

Very first time ever with a telescope - Skywatcher 130 goto - AMAZING crystal clear moon. I was stunned at the detail.

ALSO first look at Jupiter - equally clear. I could see two coloured bands easily and many moons.

Also got a peep at the Orion nebula.

Not as 'pretty' as I'd hoped, but extremely clear, if a bit 'small'.

Going to get a 6mm eyepiece for deep space stuff unless anyone suggests a better solution.

(I've only got the supplied 10mm, 25mm and a 2 x Barlow)

Roy - very happy but chilly first timer.

Going to get a 6mm eyepiece for deep space stuff unless anyone suggests a better solution.

Don't get a 6mm EP for deep space stuff. Buy a warm hat, scarf and gloves instead!

DSO's are better viewed at low magnification...

If you want an idea of what a DSO will look like in a 6mm (pretty dire) try your 10mm with the barlow. (Fine with the likes of the moon, not so good with low magnitude objects).

Plenty of threads discussing this elsewhere on SGL.

Have fun.

I must have been lucky in Ipswich (UK)

Not so good only 10 miles away from you and there seems to be a lot of haze/moisture about, not sure if it's the drop in temperature. I can see a large but feint halo around the moon that at this moment in time goes as far out as Pleiades

Archived