Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Hi all,

I've just been looking at a very bright object in the southern sky, but cannot see it on Stellarium. Forgive my lack of sky general knowledge, but can anyone tell me what star this is - it is definitely not a planet as it is twinkling and is as bright as Jupiter!? :p

Many thanks,

Rick.

AS its low in the sky the light from venus is passing through a lot of the earths atmosphere which is what makes it twinkle. :p

They do when they are as bright as Venus (and as low down) - Mars and Jupiter twinkle a bit too when low down; they also look really mushy of course (as Venus does).

Edited by Moonshane

Definitel not ISS as it's been in the sky for a good 45 minutes. I thought it might of been Altair, but it's not bright enough. Maybe it is Venus, but it is still quite high in the sky! lol

I'm looking at it again now as using my compass, the "star" is almost directly west; I don't think it is Venus as according to Stellarium, Venus is further south!? :-|

Ignore that, Stellarium is showing Venus SSW so it must be that. I looked through my scope, but couldn't make out any surface detail as it's too bright. Unless there is a supernova in the vacinity, it has to be Venus; I just didn't think it twinkled as much as that because Jupiter doesn't! lol

I was out about 45 mins ago and couldn't see any thing bright in the west, Only venus which as said above was more south west, although now getting closer to west as it starts to set.

Could you see venus when you where out looking?

Edit *** Ignore all the above you all posted while I was typing, Must type faster!! lol

Edited by Spackbackle

Yep, definitely Venus. I just went out with the binos & had a look.

I just wish it wasn't blowing a gale or I'd get my scope out to view it!:p

Jeff

I was wondering what it was also the sky map on my phone didn't show it as venus so I wasn't sure. Been looking at it for a few nights I order my first scope on thursday so hopefully I'll be able to get a look at the weekend/early next week

Brian