SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Filter or dedicated solar telescope?

jonathan

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it would be the B1200 blocking filter Pressure Tuner LS60 that I'm looking at for £1,700-ish. If I only use it for one year and get some fantastic views of the sun being really active, it'll have been worth the money, but it sounds like we ought to get a couple of years of decent activity.

The afore-mentioned LS60 scope is now on order from Ian King Imaging. Also have a Tele Vue Sol Searcher on order which will probably arrive 3.5 weeks before the scope does, should give me plenty of time to practice finding the sun anyway!

Thank you all for your advice and opinions, they have been extremely helpful.

What's the quoated delivery time on these if you don't mind me asking?

It says 3 - 4 weeks on the website, but I got an email yesterday saying the scope would be here (I assume with them) around the end of this week, so I'm optimistic for delivery some time next week.

They look fantastic! How do those images compare to what one can see visually?

In deep sky imaging, which is my real 'thing,' you can image maybe 1000x what you can see. Maybe 10,000x.

But what you see in my solar images is what you see at the EP. That's to say, you resolve no more in the photo than at the EP. The image is smaller and more delicate, the proms fainter, but you see it all in real time.

I'd put it this way; in the Lunt 35 or PST you might be disappointed. I'm not saying you would be but you might. In the LS60 or equivalent from another maker I very doubt that you would be.

ideally, try them all.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

UKMail failed to deliver the parcel. Boooooooo.

Telephone number is on the door, but it looks like the guy just took one look through the window, saw that nobody was there, wrote a card and left. Reception is not usually left unattended for long, just unlucky that he came when nobody was sitting there.

Gutted, as the weather forecast for Sunday is sunny all day, then cloudy all next week. Maybe I'll try and get out on my bike instead.

Re-delivery happened on Monday, I made sure I was there waiting. :D

The scope looks like a very well constructed piece of kit, quite small but surprisingly heavy - I will have to use the heavier of my two camera tripods. Can't wait to give it a spin!

Sunny days...

• 3 weeks later...
All my Ha gear is Coronado..just the way things happen.

The Solarscope would be an excellent scope, probably much better than the Coronado/ Lunt.

Remember that Stephen is not fully un-biased..his outreach programs are supported by "donations" from Lunt.

:):confused::):confused::icon_salut::confused::):confused::D:confused:;):confused::confused::confused:

Just a note, I have never received a free scope, filter, wedge or any financial contribution from Lunt or any other solar scope maker...

I do get discounts on some solar telescopes and related products because my local dealer Tim Nix at the Camera Bug sells me everything at cost because HE supports my science non-profit.

I have also never owned an Isle of Man filter, unless you count the 4 Coronado double stack 90mm's that I use daily in outreach from the late 90's early 2000's. (these were made when Ken H was still with the company). I have asked to buy or evaluate one several times via email but have yet to get a response.

The only scopes I review are scopes and filters that I personally own and acquired through the same means that you acquire them.

I buy everything through my local dealer.

It would be nice if these people sent me free stuff, but they dont.

Great forum you guys have here and I appreciate the kind words. Its all about outreach for me.

Stephen,

When I wrote my message in January, I misunderstood some of the comments I read on CN and other forums.

I owe you a public apology. Sorry.

(I have since spent a lot of time on Stephen's Solar Chat forum and now have a far better understanding of his commitment to solar astronomy and his dedication to his outreach program.)

The camera tripod turned out to be to awkward and inaccurate for tracking, I have been using the LS60 on my EQ1 which came with the ST80, it fits the ST80 tube rings perfectly.

I am thinking about a CG-4 mount for the LS60, but need to acquire tube rings and possibly a dovetail, though the one that came with the NEQ6 might do the job.

Glad you got the scope. I was following this thread.

I was going go with a Lunt 60, pressure tuned, double stack, B1200, for imaging work.

But then thought, no, not sure. Been a night observer for years and wasn't sure if the light side would be for me. So I recently went for a PST and love it. Have a DMK41 coming for imaging.

So I'm going with that for a few months then will look at the Lunt again. Maybe towards the end of this year. PST was £450 plus case and I've seen the PST sell second hand for £350 and those were a year old. So it seems most solar kit holds it value well.

Do let us know how you get on with the Lunt.

Cheers

Ian

I read posts about the PST modding thing but it wasn't really my bag, I just wanted a decent scope that didn't need anything doing to it, and I really like the look of the Lunt and the way the pressure tuner works. :)

• 1 year later...

Gentelmen and especially Peter,

I have only now come across these kind words of praise for my solar scope review site.  I wanted you to know how very grateful I am for your taking the time to read it.   

I should say though that I have never used solarscope equipment from the Isle of Man as I only review what I have personally purchased at retail so that my reviews are unbiased, and frankly, I cannot afford their products…:).  

Thanks again for your kind words. 

Stephen www.solarastronomy.org

• 2 weeks later...

Archived