Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Worth bothering - Canon 10D with 200 Newt/EQ5?

DaBozUK

Never done astrophotgraphy before, but want to have a go.

I've got a Konusky 200 Newt EQ5 with motor, and a Canon 10D to hand. I have a 1.25" to T-mount piece from this GSO set:

ScopeTeknix 7 part Photo-Visual eyepiece and accessory kit by GSO

so I now need to get a T-mount adapter, which isn't easy to find by the looks of it, without ordering from abroad.

But before I spend, is it worth it? Will I be able to photograph anything worthwhile with this set up, like the moon, planets and DSOs?

Thanks

Boz

The Canon T adapter is readily available in the UK - see here for example.

You can certainly capture some good Lunar images with your set-up. Take lots of images in a session and use the free software Registax to combine the images into a single good quality image.

Planets will be disappointing and DSOs may be challenging unless your mount is tracking particularly well. You could also consider the purchase of a webcam as this would make planetary imaging more rewarding - again using Registax to stack the AVIs that you produce.

Edited by steppenwolf

hey flo sell all the bits and yes you would get some great moon shots check my photo bucket account its full of shots taken with a cannon 10d its in my sig

Thanks, but that site is hard to navigate. I found moon shots, but planets were webcam. Can you do planets and DSOs with that setup?

I'd just hold the camera up to the focusser and click...for the moon and that size of scope something like 400iso, 0.010secs exposure isnt too far off. Just watch your histogram and adjust accordingly. What have you go to lose?

you'll then discover if you don't have enough back focus etc.

Post up what you get!

I'd just hold the camera up to the focusser and click...for the moon and that size of scope something like 400iso, 0.010secs exposure isnt too far off. Just watch your histogram and adjust accordingly. What have you go to lose?

you'll then discover if you don't have enough back focus etc.

Post up what you get!

I've tried that with my iPhone and Panasonic Lumix and the results are ok, but unimpressive due to the slight movement.

But I don't just want to do the moon, I want to do planets and DSOs, as mentioned.