How do you feel about your images?

swag72

I would be really interested in knowing how imagers out there really feel about their images. Are you happy with any of them? Do you always want something better? Are you always looking for that little bit more? Maybe you are pleased as hell at what you produce?

I would love to hear what people say - There are some truely amazing images on this forum that are inspirational, but are the imagers happy with the final version?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am happy and pleased with what I have achieved in two years, but as with any hobby / pasttime, I want to achieve more and hence the reasons for spending on kit and better scopes.

Already eyeing up the 12 inch version of my 8inch powernewt that will be released soon :p

Frustrated. actually that does not come even close.

If Asto imaging ends up like music for me ill never be happy LOL "it could always be better".

Im still suffering from gear issues, I guided a 5 min sub earlier before the high whispy cloud arrived, to find that even though it was fine for the 5 mins in PHD there were trails, I think something is slipping, which if guiding was ok, it has to be something else. i have a feeling the focuser has some play in it.

Processing, well i have loads to learn, but at present as im unable to get workable flats, imo im not even past the Calibration point.

Overall its a good challenge, but the gremlins are worse than any PC gremlins, and thats without adding the PC into the equation.

If it was easy I probably wouldn't even bother photographing anything. The challenge of improving on the last image is what gives me a buzz.

I know where you are coming from, but there are some fundamentals with the hobby I feel the manufactures are really letting us down on.

I am happy with my images...for about 2 days. I think about the wonderful objects that I have been able to produce a picture of. Then reality sets in and I realise that the stars are not round enough, and the colour is washed out, and the focus could be better, and there is still too much noise and why did I bother...oh hang on, it's forecast to be clear tonight, great, I can do better this time...

Hi

I am almost never happy with the images I post either due to lack of processing skill and or lack of data, but I suppose thats what drives me on to improve :icon_salut:

In fact I have only been happy with one image I have done :p , hey ho more work required

Harry

Hi

I am almost never happy with the images I post either due to lack of processing skill and or lack of data, but I suppose thats what drives me on to improve :icon_salut:

In fact I have only been happy with one image I have done :p , hey ho more work required

Harry

I win :confused: In 30+ years of photography I have 3 images which I'm totally happy with. One every 10 years, not a bad average :D

I'm at the stage now where I'm often quite happy with an image but I'm always on the look out for improvement. And then, in a years' time, when I look again, I can see what to do better next time. I only have one that I can say I'm truly satisfied with and I bet that will change in a year as well.

When I look at the work of other imagers I may not altogether like what they've done but I'd often like to know how they did it in order to have those techniques available for me to use in my own way. (Rogelio Bernal Andreo's background sky depth, Robert Gendler's red and blue saturation...)

What is great is that there are so many variations in style. When I started I had no contol over what style I'd end up with; I had to wait and see what would pop out with the final click, but now I do have at least some say in the matter!

Olly

I am rarely happy with my images and constantly strive to improve my technique which sadly takes something away from the hobby I think. I am at the stage where on the rare times that I do get an imaging session in, I normally come away with an 'acceptable' image but that's all, I am never completely satisfied and can find faults everywhere, especially in my tracking.

I made what I believe to be very good/fast progress early on but now have reached a plateau that confines me!

This is a very interesting thread... especially considering the images produced by the people who have added to it. In my opinion more than a few SGL members post some simply stunning images and I look at them and only dream about being able to emulate it/them - Sometimes they're SO good I've felt like dumping the data I have on the same object and starting again (or finding a new object no-one's done for a while :p).

The thing I try to remember is that everyone has different rigs and different starting points; some have observatories, some darker skies, others more opportunities etc etc and of course some have bigger budgets to play with (not that that would make much difference to me - I know I'm the weakest link!)... and of course this hobby isn't a competition (unless you include battling with the weather, the mount, the OTA, the focuser, collimation, camera, com ports, various applications etc :icon_salut:)

It reminds me of when I played golf - My pro advised me not to play against the person but play against the course. When I started I really quite enjoyed the walk, hitting a ball ocassionally, finding the skylarks nests in the rough whilst they sang overhead, the swans down by the river, the watercress in the stream, the frogs and newts in the ponds...

Then my handicap came down, eventually to 8 - I hated going in the rough, the birds were an annoyance, if I ever visited the swans down by the river it was due to a slice, and as for the streams and the ponds, they had to be avoided at all costs. I stopped enjoying what was supposed to be my "enjoyable hobby"... so I quit in total frustration at not being able to get my handicap lower quicker.

I think at the end of the day, we are probably all our own hardest critics... It's all too easy to pick faults, but I think the important thing is to enjoy it and not get too hung up about the nitty gritty details. I personally find mechanical (focuser) or optical issues VERY fustrating (as I probably didn't cause those and I'm now having to put effort in to correct someone else poor QA!), but I feel that the rest of it is down to the (probably) never-ending learning experience and as long as I can get an image to show my wife/family/friends and also take away a lesson or something to work on for next time, then I'm happy... and if I can't get to the bottom of an issue myself, then thankfully there's the kind people here to help out :confused:.

(The only think I don't enjoy about the hobby is cr*p weather and not enough funds!)

The day I take the perfect image is the day I sell everything on Ebay! In other words, I always see room for improvement. And, it is the experimentation towards that improvement that makes the hobby so appealing.

Sara

When I first started taking simple webcam planet/moon images I was really pleased.

Since then, partially due to seeing the wonderful images on SGL, I am now far from impressed by anything I do. So much so that I no longer post pics on SGL - just on facebook (where people are much less aware of how they SHOULD look).

If I produced the sort of images you have in your album, I would be well-chuffed.

Hi

I take a few images now and then, but only of planets.

I don't have the setup (or the time :p) to entertain trying DSO imaging.

When you see posts from new members (and I include myself in that category) asking about "best telescope for astrophotography" it does make me wonder if people understand the highs and lows of imaging?

If it was something that could be achieved in a few months, I don't see the point of doing it.

So to answer the question, I feel happy with the images I've taken.

Still have lots of experimenting to do as far as image focus is concerned and Registax is a piece of software that will take a long time to learn.

I'm a long way off finishing.......

Regards

Neil

Archived