Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

michaelmorris

Worcester - Stargazing Live 2012

To tie in with the forthcoming BBC Stargazing Live broadcasts, on Wednesday 18th January to Friday 20th January Worcester Astronomical Society are hosting 3 x free public observing sessions at Worcester Countryside Centre. Worcester Woods Country Park

There will also be displays about amateur astronomy and a demonstration of the society's new low light video camera (Samsung SDC-435). It is hoped that the Orchard Cafe will also be open so you can get a cup of tea and something to eat whilst observing. Observing starts after 7:30pm.

Hello Michael and happy new year. I have a meeting of the Herefordshire Astro Society this Thursday and if it is OK I will mention your event.

If the sky is going to be kind for you perhaps I will come and say hello. I quite fancy seeing your video setup.

Regards

Mark

I would be great to see you there.

BTW the Coldfield Obsrevatory double star list looks interesting.

The first 200 visitors can pick up a free BBC guide to observing the Moon and Stars. There will also be free stickers for kids and 'things to do' ideas cards.

All courtesy of the wonderful BBC.

Edited by michaelmorris

Michael does that mean I need to bring you some 'Old Speckled Hen' to keep you going :o

Mark

You know me too well. :(

Hi Michael,

I may call in too. I'll be in the area but unsure about commitments in the evenings.

Mike

Just a quick reminder of our 3 observing nights tonight (Wednesday) and Thrusday and Friday at The Worecster Woods Countryside Centre. We will also have displays about astronomy, free star guides and a slide show of astro images.

Around 30 members of the public attended last night despite almost total cloud cover. However, we were treated to several spells of almost clear skies and views of Jupiter, M42 and M45 were available through society memeber's telescopes.

Fingers crossed for a clearer evening tonight, at least the forecast looks more promising!

See you there.

Despite unforecast heavy rain and cloudy conditions, and a tempermental EQ6 we had another great night with around 70 people coming along to look through telescopes and find out about astronomy. Lots of new faces and loads of families, which is always great to see.

We're at the Countryside Centre again tomorrow night and then at the Droitwich Library Space Day on Saturday.

http://stargazerslounge.com/stargazing-live-2012/170304-droitwich-library-spaceday.html

Edited by michaelmorris

On Friday night we had another 80 people turn up for observing. Despite the total cloud cover all night, everyone seemed to have a great time. We had a DVD (supplied by the BBC), a short impromptu talk on telescopes, a question and answer session for kids and short talk on some of the astronomical objects we would ahve looked at had the clouds been absent.

Edited by michaelmorris

It was a very good turn out. I enjoyed your talk Michael. I also learned quite a bit talking to some of your fellow members outside the main room.