SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Carton 100mm f/13 Refractor

johninderby

Hmm makes me want one even more, Nice report John.

Just out of interest as I am looking for 2" steel tripod for my 102mm f/10 but cant seem to source them without the CG-5 EQ mount included.

I found the EQ5 1.75 inch tripod but nothing bigger....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any further viewing reports John, and may i ask where you got the carton lens objective from

I got the Carton lens from Lyra Optics. He doesn't have any more but you can still get them from Sheldon Faworski in the US. Or perhaps you could ask Glen at Lyra if he could get any more.

Haven't had the scope out for a few weeks what with my mother passing away recently and the funeral being just earlier this week. Perhaps in a week or two I'll get it out again.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi John,

I've been away for a while and just logged on properly for the first time for months:rolleyes:.

Firstly, my sincere (and belated) sympathy on the loss of your mum.. I lost mine in November and still miss her very much.

Your scope is gorgeous and a credit to you. It sounds like a fantastic performer and everything that the legendary Cartons are meant to be. I was led to your thread by a search for the Lyra F11 4" as I am refractor-less and don't like it:eek:..at the moment I just have the Lomo Mak 6", and, great scope though that is, I just love fracs, it's that simple. And I want another. Do you think the Lyra is still up there and worth considering? I know Glen is a top guy, everyone speaks so well of him and he only sells nice gear, so I'd expect his F11 to be a very good overall performer.

Congratulations on a great scope and hi to everyone:)

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Good to see you back on SGL. :)

Yes I still rate the Lyra 100mm f/11 very highly and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I consider it a bit of a bargain considering the WO like build quality and the excellent optics. It only suffers when you compare it to the Carton. Where the Lyra is excellent the Carton is a bit magical and clearly outperforms the WO FLT98 I had on lunar/planetary. Neil English called my Carton "A beguiling magic flute". :D

Skylight Telescopes sells a Carton 100mm f/13 OTA but it starts at £1295.00. :D Glen at Lyra is working on a run of his new Carton 80mm f/15 scope and will be doing a few in polished aluminium as well, but not sure of the price. Looks quite interesting.

The Carton hasn't had very much use lately, but now that I'm feeling more like observing it will definitely be put to good use again. Picked up a WO 80FD recently which will make a nice wide field companion to the Carton. :(

John

post-14522-133877762509_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

Time for a makeover.. ?

Had polished up the old paint recently but gone dull again already and marks left by the rings couldn’d be rubbed out so time for it to,be done properly. 

Dropped the tube and the lens cell off to be refinished this morning. Tube to be done in proper two pack candy red paint and the cell in satin powder coat. Should be back next week. Was going to powder coat the tube but was advised the two pack paint they use will give a tougher finish. Oh well there goes 200 quid but worth it to have Big Red back to her best. ?

Big Red spread over the workbench this morning.

387CD1D8-87CD-4566-8A7B-26A26A493C70.jpeg

Archived