Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Solar filters.

Pitsmoor Col

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a solar filter on the front of the scope over 99% of the sun's light is reflected so your scope won't get warm at all inside.

You don't need a large aperture for solar observing so a refractor is usually more convenient. A 4" refractor is an ideal size.

John

Edited by johninderby

With a solar filter on the front of the scope over 99% of the sun's light is reflected so your scope won't get warm at all inside.

You don't need a large aperture for solar observing so a refractor is usually more convenient. A 4" refractor is an ideal size.

John

Many thanks for your reply.

John

It's important NOT to point your scope at the sun without a Baader film filter on the front. You can get destructive heating of the scope's internal parts. In fact NEVER leave your scope where there is a possibility of the sun shining into it - cap it, use sun filter on the front, or point it at the ground. Same applies to a finder scope.

Wow. I have just pointed my scope at Sol with my just finished solar filter and am amazed. Using my 32mm TV plossl and my cheapie 6" f6 newt (full aperture filter) the view was amazing. Superb detail on numerous sunspots and about half field image approx. I thought in the brief view I had that I could even detect some texture to the surface. The scope was not even cooled, being straight out of the house.

It still scares me a bit in all honesty but this will disappear with time and obviously a proper check is needed before each and every session.

Edited by Moonshane