Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

When did you last see the Milkyway?

Jessun

I for one can't remember last time... Perhaps years ago. I read somewhere that you shouldn't even bother observing or do imaging unless the Milkyway is clearly visible, but I violate that all the time...

I see it often though from the cockpit of the aeroplanes I fly - but that's cheating. I turn all the lights down and peer out for hours, and wish I could bring a little APO along...

I love the clear views up there with 39000' of atmosphere below me. The Seven Sisters M45 for example are a joy up there even to the naked eye.

Then I land, go home, and all is gone... :p

I wish you all a Happy New Year with remarkably clears skies!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shouldn't you be watching where you're going :confused:

LOL! Just what I was thinking... and then I remembered that planes pretty much fly themselves these days! :p

Last time I saw the Milky Way was in August on holiday in the Maldives. It was absolutely stunning and easily the best I've ever seen it.

Was just a shame that I didn't have a scope with me :icon_salut:

Last time I saw the milky way was last night from my back garden, and its not like I'm in a dark site either on a housing estate in a village with around 1500 people. I always use the milky way as an indicator to see how far my pupils have dilated when I first go out to stargaze. I have yet to see it from a real dark site.

Hey Jessun, what plane or planes do you fly..?

Shouldn't you be watching where you're going :icon_salut:
Depends what sort of aircraft, I suppose. If we're talking big passenger airliner, well there's always a co-pilot to do all the hard work...:confused:
I read somewhere that you shouldn't even bother observing or do imaging unless the Milkyway is clearly visible, but I violate that all the time...
I take it you mean Deep Sky stuff, after all observing the Moon or the planets isn't so much affected by LP.

The MW is always difficult in winter because you're looking at the faintest part of it, diametrically opposite the galactic centre. I can't honestly say I've ever seen the midwinter MW clearly and unambiguously from Sussex. But I always have a sight of the brightest section of it, in summer and autumn, on a clear moonless night even from my back garden, mainly at the zenith (unless it's one of those nights when the neighbour has his security light on :p).

well there's always a co-pilot to do all the hard work...:p

Spot on there!

I can't remember where or when I read this. It was before I got the bug, but it stuck in my mind - and proved to be wrong.

I also remember reading about the big power cut of New York some years back, and a whole bunch of people saw stars for the first time of their lives...

Interesting there about the seasonal view of the MW. Never thought about that.

Christmas morning when I got up to have a look for the comet. The Milky Way was clear and bright like normal - it's a very dark site here with two ranges of hills and 20km between me and the nearest town.

From my back garden, I get a Milky Way teaser. I can make out the brightest parts overhead on clearer nights but that is all.

The last time I saw it properly was just over a year and a half ago.

To think of all the Christmas lights which mimic the stars. If only we didn't pollute the sky with so much light, we'd all be able to see the real thing every clear night - depressing! :p

Actually, the patch of Milky Way is visible at my current observing spot (emergency airfield) on a regular basis. Even at nights of poor transparency, strong light pollution or inverse wather conditions it is visible straight overhead at least and on moonless nights of course.

Lucky for me I guess, I already have my eye on an observing spot that should offer even better sky quality, according to the light pollution map. It should be even relatively high above sea level, three-times higher then my current spot in fact. Oh, as I said many times, the 12" dob can't get here soon enough. :p

But I digress: Well, on moonless nights at least, I see Milky Way patch every time.

I've always wondered what stars look like to a pilot. I assume the front windows of planes are kept cleaner than the passenger's. ?

I can't see the Milky Way at all from where I live in Enfield, I last saw it from my brother's on the outskirts of Oxford - but it's gratifying to think its still visible close to a major town.

One of the best views I've ever had of the Milky Way was on a boating holiday, slap bang in the middle of the Norfolk Broads, it was fantastic.

We used to have a boat up there but now sadly sold, only wish I'd had a scope at the time.

No pictures... There's always some movement even when you think it's a smooth ride, and I get some fuzzy streaks at best from the brightest stars, so I've pretty much given up trying... Low powered binos would work I suppose.

It's Airbus 319-320 btw.

Archived