SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie needing telescope advice please :)

So basically, I'm into my photography :p I have a Canon 7D, and have recently become quite facinated by astrophotography ( I was before but I couldn't afford a telescope )

My situation has changed now to the point where I can afford one, and would greatly appreciate some advice on a telescope that isn't too complicated but at the same time can be great for deep space viewing and astrophotography :icon_salut: I'd say my budget is around £250-300 but anything below this will obviously be great as I'm a student and every little helps!

I've had a look at a couple of explorers but past focal length, F stops & magnification my knowledge hits a wall and I don't know what they're talking about :confused:

Thanks for any help!

Hi Tazni, welcome to SGL

The usual advice for beginner is to avoid astrophotography. Astrophotography with a DSLR requires accurate tracking for long exposure. The minimum mount for that is an HEQ5 which is outside your budget. The EQ5 and EQ3-2 that come with a lot of the SW Explorer models are not good enough.

If you have a budget of £250 - 300 and your interest is viewing DSO, I would recommend a Skywatcher 200p dob. It's visual only, but best value for money.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

If you are a student, consider joining your university/college's astronomical society. They may have some equipment for loan.

It will also help if you state your location. People local to your area may be able to give you more specific advice.

Tazni, welcome to the forum.

I have to echo Keith's comments. Also as you are seriously into photography you'll understand that to get the results you are after you need to buy equipment near the top of range. Your 7D retails for around £1000 and no doubt you have a few lenses which may of cost upwards of the same amount. This equally applies to telescopes.

Whilst it's possible to attache a camera to a SW150P on a driven EQ3 mount and get results, it will be harder than using something like a 200P on an HEQ5 / EQ6 mount (typically £1100 - £1300) and then you'll need the guidescope system, and a laptop to run it all from

I'm not an imager but a first step for you might be to forget the scope and get a good tracking equatorial mount to put your camera on. You can then at least have a go at some widefield deep sky shots.

I've got the same camera as you, i have a 2nd hand HEQ5 to mount it on and am about to get a Skywatcher explorer 200P DS. My initial thoughts were the Skywatcher 80ED as that comes highly recommended but i fancy some visual also.

So that's £745 for the HEQ5 (has to be sysnscan now the syntrek is no longer availble) plus £298 for the 200PDS OTA.... (or £479 for the ED80DS pro).... Just goes to show that this imaging lark can't be done on the cheap !!

So that's £745 for the HEQ5 (has to be sysnscan now the syntrek is no longer availble) plus £298 for the 200PDS OTA.... (or £479 for the ED80DS pro).... Just goes to show that this imaging lark can't be done on the cheap !!

plus around £450 for a ST80 guidescope (100), guidescope ring (60), dual mounting bar (80) and a QHY5 guider (200).

Thanks guys I didn't realise it was going to be so... expensive :icon_salut: Unfortunately my university doesn't have a society :confused: But it's something I can maybe dream of in the future :p

Does anyone happen to know of anywhere in the UK you can go to look through proper telescopes etc?... Seeing as I won't be able to really afford one myself just yet..

You need the patience to save up until you have the funds. AP is certainly very expensive but you don't need to go for the ultimate straight away - start simply and work up. The moon is a good place to start. Maybe not as interesting as some other objects but good to get the practice in :p

Like a lot of things, it's a matter of degree, it doesn't have to be expensive at all. Additionally you don't have to have an expensive scope. See the link below to see what can be achieved with a cheap little PowerShot camera, and a 40mm singlet objective. Note the viewing conditions.

http://www.astronomy.ro/forum/files/jupiter_26_12_11_cass_obs_simplet_l1_m2ps_917.jpg

Cheers

Max

Like a lot of things, it's a matter of degree, it doesn't have to be expensive at all. Additionally you don't have to have an expensive scope. See the link below to see what can be achieved with a cheap little PowerShot camera, and a 40mm singlet objective. Note the viewing conditions.

http://www.astronomy.ro/forum/files/jupiter_26_12_11_cass_obs_simplet_l1_m2ps_917.jpg

Cheers

Max

I agree,,,its the fun aspect and seeing what you can achieve with what you've got, I use a Tal and just enjoy capturing something that ive seen, it doesn't have to be hubble quality, also a lot of the photography has been worked with various software after capture.

Archived