Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Objective Prism Spectroscopy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a try with RSPEC, which seemed to work ok, although it may take more than the trial period to get to grips with!

Chris

Hi, Chris,

If you need more time on the trial period of RSpec, please drop me a line via RSpec site's contact form. I'd be happy to extend the trial period as you need.

Congratulations on your entry into an exciting branch of amateur astronomy!

Tom Field

RSpec / Real-time Spectroscopy

Tom - many thanks. I've taken the liberty of using RSpec for the graphs below.

Ken; I've had a little more success; I've been playing around with spectra various to see what is "line" and what is artefact. With my DSLR, an image unaligned with the sensor doesn't seem to cause artefacts, but playing with the unsharp mask tool in PS certainly does as it converts the edge of faint bands into "lines" - for this reason, I've applioed a gaussian blur to each spectrum to remove artefacts as far as possible, and converted a couple to graphical spectra. Here are some examples of mutiple runs with Sirius (3 replicate runs plus a couple of spectral plots):-

Chris

post-20801-13387772171_thumb.jpg

post-20801-133877721713_thumb.jpg

post-20801-133877721713_thumb.jpg

post-20801-133877721715_thumb.jpg

post-20801-13387772172_thumb.jpg

Very nice!

I'm pretty sure the large dip you show around 5700A is the "Canon" dip - caused by the bayer filters.

The calibration may need checking..

The feature you show around 5950 doesn't exist. (There's a faint He/Na combo at 5876/5889/5895 which I'm not sure you would resolve.)

The other features to look for would be the O2 at 6280A and obviously the Ha.

Check against Walkers Atlas.

This is with the prism (M45) - interesting that the prism with a 300mm lens is giving about the same dispersion as the SA100 with my ED80 (640mm fl). It will be interesting to see whether I get any more resolution when I attach the prism to the ED80, or whether it's seeing limited.

Any spectral type differences visible experts? eg Pleione.

Chris

post-20801-133877723603_thumb.jpg

This is with the prism (M45) - interesting that the prism with a 300mm lens is giving about the same dispersion as the SA100 with my ED80 (640mm fl). It will be interesting to see whether I get any more resolution when I attach the prism to the ED80, or whether it's seeing limited.

Any spectral type differences visible experts? eg Pleione.

Chris

Chris,

Yours is a nice shot of M45 the spectra need widening to see the absorption lines. I have shot M45 through my Rainbow Optics Star Spectroscope as you can see from the result the spectral type differences are subtle because of their similarity in spectral type. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jack

M45 The Pleiades composite.pdf

Chris,

The Pleiades Cluster is a young cluster and all the major stars have B6 to B8 spectra.

The Balmer lines in the Blue should be visible, but difficult to see in the .jpg image you uploaded.

Burnham does a good job of describing this cluster in "Burnhams Celestial Handbook", Vol III, p1867- 1886. Both Electra and Pleione are classed as Be stars....

Chris,

The Pleiades Cluster is a young cluster and all the major stars have B6 to B8 spectra.

The Balmer lines in the Blue should be visible, but difficult to see in the .jpg image you uploaded.

Burnham does a good job of describing this cluster in "Burnhams Celestial Handbook", Vol III, p1867- 1886. Both Electra and Pleione are classed as Be stars....

I knew the spectra were pretty similar, which is why I was a bit surprised to see apparent differences, eg below from the wide field shot above.

Maybe something to do with the relatively high dispersion of a prism in the blue cf red, compared with a grating, or an artefact......?

Chris

post-20801-133877724473_thumb.jpg

Archived