Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Craig20264

Clear Skies At Last

First clear night this week to look at the skies, shame no scope yet!

Never mind, I understand the ISS is making an appearance this evening, Now where did I put them old binos:icon_scratch:

caught a (very) brief glimpse of it through my scope as i was setting up about half an hour ago. complete stroke of luck

It was clear 30mins ago when I opened up the Obsy but is now raining and cloudy for me. When will these clouds disappear??

Am hoping to get to a dark sky site later - first real test for my scope as only really seen light from the garden!

Hopefully the cloud will keep away!

Clear skies? It's blowing a hoolie out there!

Yup, but at least I can see stars!

I'm hoping the wind won't mess things up too much, the great red spot is nicely placed from around 9:30 onwards. I'm hoping to try imaging it with my new x3 Barlow...if the scope doesn't blow over :D

It's clear here with the odd drift of cloud, but fairly windy. Not sure at which point it affects my viewing though :D

Yup, but at least I can see stars!

I'm hoping the wind won't mess things up too much, the great red spot is nicely placed from around 9:30 onwards. I'm hoping to try imaging it with my new x3 Barlow...if the scope doesn't blow over :D

Gear all packed away again, far too windy tonight :)

A wild night in Nottingham. Howling wind , rain and cloud over - yet again. weather this last two months has been diabolical - about four clear nights at a sensible time for working people to observe.... :D

too risky to use either scope out there with such strong winds, typical, its clear here at the moment...a browse with the bins it is then. :D

Clouds and gaps for me. Got a quick look at the Moon in the evening, could easily see the dark side lit by Earthshine and maybe a hint of the maria on it. Then an hour later on, mainly looking around Orion with the guide in the December Astronomy Now, I think I just about saw the Running Man Nebula to the north of M42. Wish I had a dark sky.

Oh, how I envy all of you who are out tonight, having fun observing :D Please do not forget to add your observing reports later

Nice and clear here, been with the family round friends today so knew I wouldn't be able to get the scope out :)

Took my bins with me and got the coversation onto the stars when it was dark, got the bins out and showed them jupiter etc and even managed the ISS. :D

Just got home and it's far to windy to get the scope out which is a shame.

Clear and cold here - been a cracking night apart from the wind! I'm trying my 10" newt on the CGEM for the first time - not a good idea as the thing is like a sail!

Have been trying some imaging just for the heck of it (well and actually to see if I can figure out some LRGB exposure settings for a few objects) but I won't have anything useable... Still, nice to get out!

I got a nice look at the moon and jupiter for a couple of hours, broke the thumbscrew fitting on my tripod leg though :) Then my battery died, so back in doors for a polymorph repair and a charge on the battery and just been out for another hour on M42 as it was high enough over the houses. Managed to get a good look at m42 makig out lots of the cloud and the stars at the centre, not a thing on the running man though, street light was only about 5deg off m42, no chance of getting dark adjusted otherwise I think I might've stood 1/2 a chance.

Ah well, it's all good fun, was a nice clear night, first time I've been out in over a year, first time I've actually bothered aligning the scope in about 18months or so, so I'm very pleased with tonights effort and I haven't forgotten everything :D

I'm outside imaging Orion at the moment. I love nights like this, I have been out since 2100 and intend staying all night, as long as it's clear. It's nights like this that make all the frustrating nights worthwhile...

hope that mast isn't too much of a pain up there in sunny mendlesham

Argh, those poxy red lights in the sky! Astronomers on andromeda observing our milky way must be wondering what the hell that red fuzzy thing is :p

Actually its not that bad, my house blocks the view of it, plus I'm a good 2 miles away from it.