Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dense Galaxy field in Coma Berenices

Nitrogen

I was out a couple nights ago with my brother, and we spent a good amount of time viewing the swarm of galaxies in the coma berenices and virgo area. There's so many in this area that we had a difficult time just figuring out which ones we were looking at. In my 38mm 2" eyepiece, I was getting 4-6 galaxies in one field of view sometimes.

We made the assumption that the Messier galaxies are likely the lower magnitude ones which we were seeing. Is this a fair assumption to make? We were using my 10" reflector, with which we've been able to spot 11th and 12th mag clusters fairly easily. However, we weren't seeing 10-20 galaxies in one view in this Coma area, so I assume the NGC galaxies are even dimmer than that.

Anyways, we did what we could using stars nearby to identify where we were at in a star atlas, but wondered if people have tips about this fantastic area of the sky.

Hey Casey. Sounds like you had a great night. The CB / Virgo cluster is one of the most fascinating regions of the sky from a dark site. It's great you were picking up so many galaxies.

Roughly speaking you're right - Messiers are likely to account for the brighter ones you see in the cluster and NGCs are likely to be the fainter ones.

That said, you will have bagged plenty of NGCs in your scope if you were getting 4-6 galaxies in your field of view.

If you've not got any electronic aids to help guide your scope to objects in the sky, the best tip I can give you is to get familiar with the brighter stars in that area and where they are located in relation to the galaxies. Use a star chart to work out where you are and try to hop to the right location using your finder scope or wide field EP.

Do let us know how you get on :D

I suspect you were looking at the Markurian chain..It contains M84/86 one end and then there is an arc of objects...

You do get lost in that area but hey its still amazing to look at.

With my 10 inch I can see galaxies down to mag 13 so there are a good 100 or so in that area.

Mark

I use the Telrad charts and add all the reasonably visible objects from Stellarium. These charts then go in a plastic sheet A4 folder, keeps the dew off .

This area along with Canes Venatici has a huge population of galaxies. Early morning it's overhead. Well worth seeking out.

All good suggestions, thanks. I think it will be easier to track where I'm at after having seen the area once before. We tried to start at the Black Eye Galaxy, M64, then navigate from there, but since there's a decent sized gap between it and the main galaxy group, it was tough to tell which was the first one we came upon. Anyways, I assume a few more sessions at it and it will become more familiar. Plus I've looked at some images of the area afterwards to familiarize how each one is oriented (face on/edge on and such).

Todd, this image on wikipedia doesn't show many of the galaxies, but it's the area from M64 down into the opening of Virgo.

606px-Coma_Berenices_IAU.svg.png

I use the Telrad charts and add all the reasonably visible objects from Stellarium. These charts then go in a plastic sheet A4 folder, keeps the dew off .

This area along with Canes Venatici has a huge population of galaxies. Early morning it's overhead. Well worth seeking out.

Yes, I do a similar thing with CdC info and maps - I find it is the only way to be certain of what you are viewing where the sky is so busy.

Although NGCs are generally dimmer, it is not always the case. A decent number of NGC galaxies are smaller but have a higher average surface brightness. A good example is NGC 4449 in CVn, which I think is easier to view than M63 and M106.

Either way, it's a great area of the sky and one I have only recently started looking at myself. First time out I managed to identify three galaxies that I wasn't originally looking for.

Happy days!

Haha. Image 6 in that photobucket album is straight out of the star atlas I was using. As you can see, it is a swarm of red circles in all directions, and they're all about the same size.

Very true about surface brightness Martin. That's one thing I like about edge-on galaxies: they tend to be a dense, bright lines.

Haha. Image 6 in that photobucket album is straight out of the star atlas I was using. As you can see, it is a swarm of red circles in all directions, and they're all about the same size.

Very true about surface brightness Martin. That's one thing I like about edge-on galaxies: they tend to be a dense, bright lines.

haha i am glad they was of no use then lol, it was clear last night but around 21:30 i went in the room where my scopes live, the mrs gave me the"you not go in out tonight look",went to bed at 23:30 it was clear and no wind, i am wanting to find these now my self

i will put the goto and 12" out early in the shed and hope it clears for today

I'm very familiar with that look :p

It is an unusual area. I'm curious why they are so dense there. We spent a couple hours in one night in that small window, but it will take a couple more nights to feel like I know my way around it. We were out for 7 hours, so it doesn't come up at very convenient time right now. I'll probably spend more time on it in spring.

I've just printed these out and laminated them. They are detailed but small. I might need a magnifying glass to read the busier areas. looking forward to trying this rather than the laptop and Wixey.

Bart

Sorry:( I printed mine on an a3 printer as I had the same problem with a4

It took a LOT of a3 laminating sheets

Can't wait to have another look round this area, last year I used Astro tom's telrad charts (Messier Maps) to get into the right area and pick out the main area and then sky voyager on the ipod to identify the other galaxies that I saw. It's great for upping the messier count

Wow that is quite a guide. I've got a mag 7 atlas which is small enough to be handy in the field, but that one would be nice to have for after-the-fact identifying. Thanks.

Absolutely!

I've printed and laminated the A and B series in A4 and the B/C series in A4 also. As you say, they'll be great for confirming you have what you think you have!

Thanks a million for the tip! they are great. It has taken an evening or two laminating, laminating, laminating. Ah, the smell of warm plastic in the evening..

Bart

I just printed my TriAtlas C on A4 and put it in a ring binder unlaminated. A plastic clip frame can be used to hold a single chart for star-hopping with the rest kept covered to prevent dewing.

I also got the Great Atlas Of The Sky which is expensive but a lot easier to read than TriAtlas, so that's what I now use - the sheets are larger so I just use a bigger clip frame.

Agreed - TriAtlas C would best be printed on A3. The Great Atlas Of The Sky charts are bigger than A2 (61x43cm, at a scale of 35mm per degree), which is even more comfortable to use - but the free TriAtlas is certainly excellent.

Archived