Narrowband

What are you planning to buy or is on your wishlist for 2012?

jonathan

I think this year I may well get myself a dedicated solar telescope. Not sure if I will be in a position to observe the transit of Venus on 6th June as we live on the wrong side of a slope for that, but you never know... that is the day after the Queen's Diamond Jubilee (a bank holiday in the UK) and the Spring bank holiday (Monday 4th June) so I might just book the rest of week off work, get up early and drive to the top of the hill at silly o'clock in the morning. :D

Might also get that Equinox APO 80mm that I've had my eye on for a long time, the ST80 has been very handy as a grab-and-go so this should be a vast improvement in terms of optics but maintain that portability aspect. I have all the diagonals etc that should compliment it well, as I've been slowly building up my kit for the 8SE.

My shopping list / wish list for 2012:

First Light Optics - Coronado PST Solar Telescope

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Equinox 80 APO PRO OTA

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was planning on getting an OO 150mm newt, but now I am thinking of getting some camera lenses instead. I need a basic zoom, a 10mm wide-angle zoom, and a fast prime in the range of 24 to 50mm. A 100mm macro would be good too - this is starting to look like a couple of year's purchases! :-/

I'm planning on using the wide-angles for some widefield imaging of starfields. I'll definitely buy all this stuff second-hand.

JMI Focuser and SmartPC for my 12" Meade LX90, ACF, GPS on its way from the States whilst we speak!!

Then some serious saving for an Astro-engineering equatorial mount, adaptor plate and polar alignment widget ! gosh this hobby is becoming an addiction.....

I'm in an iffy place at the moment, i'm definitely looking to buy my own scope soon since i can't keep this loaner forever. I can afford a 130 heritage, but have heard they are a little "meh" as far as views/quality go. I can stretch to a skyliner 150p probably this month, or i can go all out, bankrupt myself and literally just about survive the month (and get in a lot of trouble) and get a 200p, which is what i REALLY want... :D

My list includes an ERF and mounting cell for now, the ERF is the biggy at the moment. If we end up moving I may just have a brain explosion and grab a Pentax DSLR and that astro gadget to go with but that will require darker skies than I have now.

I have plans to buy many things but unless work is forthcoming I doubt that I will be adding anything new to my arsenal this coming year.

But in event that things do go my way I would be looking at:

* A replacement C100ED and a beefy EQ mount that it deserves :D

* A white-light solar setup

* Some higher power eyepieces to fill some gaps in my collection

Archived