Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did Santa get you astro stuff?

JB80

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the link cable for my iPad so the portable visual kit is now a lot more portable than when I have to lug a laptop around. A boring chrimbo day also sees an 80mm ota with auto guider winging its way to my house to allow decent imaging on my heavier gear. Just the 250p or 300p to get and I will be pretty happy with all my kit and can get on with the pier and roll off roof.

Ooh I got a Star Wars stuff too, It's majorly cool. It's a book called "The Jedi Path" and comes in this vault that when you press a button and the doors open and the book raises out.

Star Wars definitely counts as astro stuff.:D

starwars-1.gif

Got the Haynes manual for the Millenium Falcon, couple of astrobooks, a coma corrector for the Newts and a NEW PLANETARY CAM! Woo-hoo! Best wife in the world!

Got my first (well first since I was a kid!) telescope. Nothing grand, just a Celestron Travelscope 70, which I spent the afternoon setting up and aligning the finderscope for. I also got a SkyWatcher 7.5mm plossl EP, red LED torch, mount for Phillips Toucam (I grabbed the webcam in anticipation when I saw them going for a good price on Morgan) and a compass to get my bearings.

Unsurprisingly, therefore, we had solid cloud here today, and forecast as such at least till Tuesday! Nonetheless, tried it with terrestial targets during the day. Optically it suprised me, picking out a good amount of detail on distant church towers, and focusing nicely and very easily, and I was pretty impressed with the scope itself, but the tripod is indeed the Achilles Heel of the setup , so I've mounted it on my photographic tripod, which immediately made things rather more stable :)

So yes, not the worlds most impressive setup I know, but for the car-less, it is insanely portable (love the backpack!) and is a good start, so I'm very happy :D

Well I had hinted at the CGE Pro 14" EdgeHD but alas no luck on that, 3 astro related books inc. a swlf purchased copy of The Quantum Universe: Everything that can happen does happen. Only asked for one thing really - FLO vouchers, everyone obliged me with cash this year so am gonna purchase the value in vouchers before it gets lost amongst the bills etc :D

I took steps early and sent the wife a email wish list, of stuff people could buy for me if they were struggling - Apparently, people say I'm hard to buy for...

I asked for an "observing" chair, Bahtinov mask for the 200p and a Laptop screen filter. The latter turned up millimetre perfect to the measurements supplied. Unfortunately someone, in a bit of a rush, measured the screen upside down and put in the vertical measurement as 217mm, instead of the 207mm it actually is. Idiot.

Got the clean sweep though, which made seven pairs of socks and five underpants seem less disappointing than normal.:D

I didn't have the Zenithstar when I sent that email, but cash donations made by the long since defeated, will set me on the way to the field flattener I now want. There's always something else, isn't there?

Russell

I got a Moonlite Focuser for my Equinox ED120 and an IKharos field flattener/focal reducer for the same scope and two astro magazine subscriptions.

I did ask "tongue-in-cheek" for a Skypod, suggesting a demolition of an old garden summerhouse and received the reply - "check the window in the garden and see if it is worth it" .... hmmm that wasn't an all out no !!!

Though looking at some of the home built observatories members have uploaded - I am sorely tempted to do a project - though I don't think I have the skills for a larger DIY jobbie :D

Steve

Socks and a box lol - that Maplins one reduced to £29.99 - should tidy up two short tube refractors for me :)

Large Storage Case : Flight & Rugged Cases : Maplin Electronics

I also got one of these boxes :)

A red head light :icon_eek: Had great fun scaring the life out of the cat with this :D

And the Haynes Astronomy Manual (very good) :headbang::)

Archived