Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Grunthos

Bset places in/around Sheffield/Peak District

Was wondering where some of you go to observe?

e.g. Derwent, Snake Pass, Hope Valley...?

Am not too bothered about "security issues" as I believe I can take care of myself but curious as to where some excellent spots might be.

Have to say that I've had a few trips out to the country side but, regardless of where I go, always still seem to get light pollution from Sheffield/Manchester type connurbations.

(Maybe I'm spoiled as I used to observe in the Highlands & Islands of Scotland).

Should I just resign myself to the delights of my back garden in S17? (very convenient!:D)

Edited by Grunthos

On a good night, the milky way is clearly visible from Mayfield (S10). Seriously doubt there is a better site without travelling way out into the peaks.

Curbar Gap car park was not too bad when I used it in the past

Steve

Well I found the same problem and the LP was really driven home when someone in the states somewhere described their view of M31.

The one place I've heard mentioned though not been there is Mam Tor. I've been to Stanage and Bamford and wasn't over impressed. M31 was not much more than a very faint smear with bins for me. Mam Tor is quite a bit further from Sheffield and quite far from Manchester too so maybe a bit better but I don't know.

The R turn from Burbage North to Stanage is nice because it's so open: you can see a lot of the sky from there. It's also not far too travel.

i went to burbage rocks the other night in the valley below fox house inn was a good dark spot no interuption just high cloud on that particular day plus when you done watching u pack up your kit and have a pint bargain. i used the carpark at the other side of the styles . another good place could be the other end of burbage rocks but the carpark is on the main road.

mick

I climb in the peak a lot and use a camp site that is pretty high up and seemed to have good skies. The camp site is very basic (on a working farm) and is never busy (other torches would be a minor problem) so might be a good place to go set up a tent and telescope. Its right at the top of Winnat Pass about 100yds from the road juntion there is a non-descript gate that looks like just a gate to a field but there is a small camp site sign. I would think that this was an excellent place but you'd have to pay. Alternatively, turn right at the top of the pass and follow the road round there is a quiet car park that I've bivvied in a more than a few times that would also be pretty good I think.

That'll be Rowter Farm :D

Darkish there...but like almost everywhere I've found in the peaks...you still suffer a bit of general LP...whether that's from Sheffield or Manchester I don't know!

Rowter Farm indeed! There is some LP but it I thought it was pretty good (best I'd come across in the peak at least) There was a thread about the car park near to Millstone being a designated dark sky site or some such thing.

also climb alot in the peak and would say the parking area for cratcliff and robin hoods stride(top parking not at the base near eagle tor) would be a very good area and not many cars on a night.curbar gap would be good but the amount of traffic on ringinglow road would stop me wanting to spend time anywhere near the road at burbage bridge.by rowtor farm do you mean near rowtor rocks and the druid inn?all the way towards stanage end could be pretty good but not checked any of it out since turning to stargazing

Stanage end might be good, the car park nearest to high neb might also be pretty good. Wouldn't expect to get any traffic there and a good view all around. I've not been to Rowtor rocks but that's over by Robin Hood's stride isn't it? Rowtor farm is in the high peak so not the same place.

rowtor is the same general area as robin hoods stride but wouldnt think it would be a great viewing site.stanton moor just up the road on the other hand may well be worth investigating.