Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

is it me?

estwing

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The image gets fainter with more magnification. You get max brightness at a magnification equal to aperture in mm divided by 5. Look up 'exit pupil' for more info.

That said you will at most see slight shades of color in orion, if you are lucky. Pink and greenish tinges have been reported. The strong red seen in photographs is hydrogen alpha light, which our eyes are not very sensitive to, but which some cameras can pick up very well.

Only heard of people with 14" or 16" scopes seeing any colour in Orion. And then it has been a case of they think they detected some. Usually greenish.

What equipment have you got?

Do not please expect anything like the images you see. These are passed through photoshop or better and processed for longer then it took to collect the images that are stacked together.

The most color Iv'e seen in a 10" , f4.5 newt are greenish-pale blue om very dark nights with no light pollution. Of course, younger eyes will detect more color than us older folks can so seeing any color in M42 depends on several factors.

Through my 16" I can see green,blue and a hint of red/pink. Nothing like the photos though.:D

Snap. through my 16"

Used to see the same through a 10" when in my early twenties.

Not now though. My 10" now shows very little colour.:)

Looking forward to hearing what youngsters can see through my 20" when finished. Should prove very interesting.

Regards Steve

No colour through my 5 inch refractor, should change when I get an 8" Dob :p

A little perhaps but the vast majority of nebulae are shades of grey with my 10" newtonian. I can just about detect a faint lime green tinge in M42 but not more than that.

Only ever seen shades of grey. I don't have expectations of seeing colour so am quite happy :-)

Actually, the only thing which has really shown colour, apart from stars, is the Blinking Nebula, which showed quite a strong greenish colour to me, through an 8", and much more so through a 15"!

Stu

I just want a decent "bang for buck" scope, i'm never going to be big on imaging but would like to view deeper and a refractor to do that would cost alot more. Some 4" one's are nice and could be used on my old mount saving me money, but i'm only on a £270 budget....unless second-hand and that could be a minefield.

Snap. through my 16"

Used to see the same through a 10" when in my early twenties.

Not now though. My 10" now shows very little colour.:p

Looking forward to hearing what youngsters can see through my 20" when finished. Should prove very interesting.

Regards Steve

how is the 20"coming along ?

I just want a decent "bang for buck" scope, i'm never going to be big on imaging but would like to view deeper and a refractor to do that would cost alot more. Some 4" one's are nice and could be used on my old mount saving me money, but i'm only on a £270 budget....unless second-hand and that could be a minefield.

Although it is over your budget (by a whloe £1 :p ), you won't beat a Skyliner 200P for 'bang for buck' viewing.

I presume these shades are all stated without filtration?

I can see plenty of green/blue with my Oiii and UHC filters! (and my 6" dob but also my 16").

I haven't used a filter on M42 but it's on my to-do list for this winter :p

Archived