Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way.thumb.jpg.dbd8b15e81d11e9303c8d6ef1898ac08.jpg

Mark at Beaufort

Binoviewers - excellent purchase

At SGL6 I was able to use some Binoviewers in my 4" frac with special thanks to JonH who let me try them for a night's viewing.

Just recently I obtained a pair of AE binoviewers together with 2 Antares 25mm plossls. I knew that I might have problems with in focus so I bought the AC555 Magni-Max 1.6x from Scope'n'Skies.

Last night was clear so it was time for a first outing. I put the binoviewers initially into the 4" frac and had some nice views of Venus and Jupiter. I never intended these binos for the Dob but I thought I would try. Wow, wow I could not believe the view I got of Jupiter and the Io transit. So many belts and the shadow so clear.

I thought I would check out a few DSOs - M33 very clear - M15, M37, M36, M38 and NGC 1528 were simply stunning. I ventured over to M42 and I have to say this is the most detailed view I have ever had of this area it was breathtaking.

These views were with Antares general plossls and the image was sharp right across the FOV with no coma (did the barlow create this?).

I also started to view fainter DSOs and although they were visible I could get more from the 13mm Ethos - but only just.

Why did I wait so long to buy these - I may now have to re-think my EP case!!

If you have a chance to try some binoviewers I would recommend that you do - you won't be disappopinted.

Mark

• Like 1

Brantuk advised me to buy some binoviewers for my cpc800 which I eventually did, I bought the Williams Optics complete with 20mm EP's, I have not used them on planets 'only' Lunar and the views have been amazing. Well worth the outlay.

Binoviewers are the only way to go for visual observing. I use a Zeiss 1.25" for viewing the Moon and the Planets Jupiter and Saturn. I use a true 2" binoviewer that lets me use 2" eyepieces for observing deep sky objects. I've been using binoviewers for observing for over 10yrs now. I have the cold weather covering on my 2" binoviewer thats in the pics.

post-30912-133877709508_thumb.png

post-30912-133877709522_thumb.png

post-30912-133877709532_thumb.jpg

I've fancied a go on some of these for a while. Does anyone know if there's much of a difference between the cheaper and more expensive ones, or is it more about the eyepieces?

I've fancied a go on some of these for a while. Does anyone know if there's much of a difference between the cheaper and more expensive ones, or is it more about the eyepieces?

What you end up paying for with the high end binoviewers, is the clear apreture and high end optics.

The following is a list of binoviewers made from the ground up to be used in a scope. These are not converted microscope heads.

Siebert Optics - 45mm CA. Also known as the Mosterviewer 2" unit

Siebert Optics - 40mm CA. Also a 2" binoviewer to use 2" eyepieces

Siebert Optics - 35mm CA. This is the largest 1.25" on the market

Mark-V - 28mm CA. Outstanding

TeleVue - 26mm CA. A great unit, but has not been updated in yrs.

The Siebert binoviewers are the best deep sky viewers out there. When used with 10" and larger scopes, the views are mind blowing.

The following is a list is of the best converted microscope heads made into binoviewers.

Dank II 26mm CA. Excellent build, but it is heavy.

Siebert Optics Black Knights 25mm CA. This is the newest unit on the market.

WO 20mm CA. A very good unit.

BW 20mm CA. A very good unit.

The WO and BW binoviewers can be modified to a CA of 25mm. This service is only offered by Harry Siebert.

• Like 1

Very interesting thanks Mark, definite praise where it is due I don't doubt. Such good results from just the supplied eyepieces too.

Didn't know you could with a dob, I thought the back focus gets thrown out too far by the barlow or something.

The following is a list is of the best converted microscope heads made into binoviewers.

Denkmeiers, converted microscope heads? Never heard of that before. I thought they were made from the ground up in NY. Do you have any evidence for this?

The Denk II's by the way are excellent, but it's remarkable what the less expensive units can achieve. I still keep some single eyepieces but do do virtually all my viewing with the Denks.

Alan

Edited by Alma

Denkmeiers, converted microscope heads? Never heard of that before. I thought they were made from the ground up in NY. Do you have any evidence for this?

The Denk II's by the way are excellent, but it's remarkable what the less expensive units can achieve. I still keep some single eyepieces but do do virtually all my viewing with the Denks.

Alan

The Denk II is a very good binoviewer.

Here are the photos of the microscope head that Denk uses still on the microscope. A non converted one is on e-bay for sale. If you buy it you can send it to Denk and have them converted for you. It is made by LW SCIENTIFIC in China. It is the M2 LW200. There is a US supplier that the microscope can also be bought from.

The e-bay item numbers is :190615736251

post-30912-13387770972_thumb.jpg

post-30912-133877709729_thumb.jpg

post-30912-133877709736_thumb.jpg

I own a Televue binoviewer and use frequently a Baader Mk V. In Europe the Televue is as expensive as the Mk V and, honestly, is a step down.

I had also The William Optics and the Baader maxbright. Both very similar but I prefer the Baader.

cgebino008.jpg

cgebino010.jpg25725binowheel.jpg

The difference between the cheap and expensive units is mainly: constructuve robustness, optical quality but mainly the clear aperture. With the cheper units you can not use long focal EPs. The same with heavy EP. A Baader MarkV can be used with two Ethos 13mm., however a cheaper bino... at best, it become descollimated.

Nereid3, for the WO binoviewer you can use up to 26mm. Bon't go beyond as you will find marginal darkening. With a EP of 30-32mm they will have a very unpleased strong vigneting.

Patricio

Edited by arbacia

The MKV and the 45mm Black Knights are the top binoviewers on the market today. Both were made from the ground up to be used in a telescope. The 45mm clear aperture BN uses 2" eyepieces.

post-30912-133877709742_thumb.jpg

Thanks Johann, I never knew that. You certainly wouldn't know it from the Denkmeier website.

I think for the size of scopes I have at the moment (4" refactor & 8" SCT) I'll stick with 1.25 inch but move to a Baader MK V at some stage.

Alan

Edited by Alma

On 25 December 2011 at 00:29, Johann von Hesse said:

What you end up paying for with the high end binoviewers, is the clear apreture and high end optics.

The following is a list of binoviewers made from the ground up to be used in a scope. These are not converted microscope heads.

Siebert Optics - 45mm CA. Also known as the Mosterviewer 2" unit

Siebert Optics - 40mm CA. Also a 2" binoviewer to use 2" eyepieces

Siebert Optics - 35mm CA. This is the largest 1.25" on the market

Mark-V - 28mm CA. Outstanding

TeleVue - 26mm CA. A great unit, but has not been updated in yrs.

The Siebert binoviewers are the best deep sky viewers out there. When used with 10" and larger scopes, the views are mind blowing.

The WO and BW binoviewers can be modified to a CA of 25mm. This service is only offered by Harry Siebert.

2 inch bino viewers definitely interest me. I did not know such existed. How expensive is the Siebert Mosterviewer these days? 

What scopes are you planning on using..?

I don't know alot about the 2 inch Siebert binoviewers, and good luck with the website,  but to be honest why do you need them ??

Don't underestimate the back focus requirements of a 2" binoviewing system : they are considerable.

• Like 1

These are mine that came last week, 1/2 paid for as a birthday present from my brother. 

Thanks to everyone who recommended the TS pair :)

IMG_20180613_133210.jpg