Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beautiful Comet Lovejoy

We are indeed very lucky in the Southern Hemisphere with this amazing beautiful comet visible in all its glory. What a Xmas present for us all!!

I have observed it over the last week, though last night was my first time from a dark sky site. It had been cloudy here in Townsville, but 20 minutels west the skies were clear and the tail was very visible poking up through the horizon.

As it cleared the horizon, the tail was amazing, measuring about 20 dg, wow!! Quite close to the Southern Cross.

A wondrous sight indeed, which will hopefully last for a few more days yet!!!

post-19321-133877709125_thumb.jpg

post-19321-133877709132_thumb.jpg

post-19321-133877709138_thumb.jpg

post-19321-133877709145_thumb.jpg

Thank you all, yes I know, very lucky. I am a comet lover and have observed ... about 15 maybe. The best I have seen was the amazing Comet Hyakutake in 1996. I was totally gobsmacked as I gazed up over the enormous tail streaking right across the night sky!!

Comet Lovejoy is my now the 2nd best comet, not that it should feel that, as is such a beautiful and moving sight!!

I read on one of our Forums of people flying to Australia for a look. :)

The comet is heading more to the south now, but hoping that tail maintains its brightness for a few days yet, and the weather holds out a bit longer!!

Cheers Andrew and Mark. :)

Looking forward to heading out in the morning, though getting a bit sleep deprived now!!

Also quite hot where I am In Northen Australia - its 8 pmnow,and tll 28 dg with 75% humidity - beauty of the tropics.

Actually a bit lucky as an ex cyclone is dragging cloud away from us as it heads down the Qld coast - poor Brisbane are very clouded out.

Hard to imagine what you guys are going through for Xmas - cold!!!!

This is great. Im currently in NZ with intermittant internet but just checked in as Im keen to see this and what people here have captured. We drive to the glacier region today so I might see if I can catch it whilst we are there.

This is great. Im currently in NZ with intermittant internet but just checked in as Im keen to see this and what people here have captured. We drive to the glacier region today so I might see if I can catch it whilst we are there.

Oooh, the glacier region is gorgeous, enjoy!!

Make sure you try and catch the comet before it fades, I have found that it has faded a bit from 2 days ago when I saw it. :D

Yes, it was stunning indeed!! Am so glad I had clear skies while it was bright, has been cloudy here now for the last 3 days so no more chances.

A wonderful end to 2011.:icon_salut:

Cheers Tom, yes, people were comparing it to MacNaught though it wasnt as bright, or tail as long, but still in the league. Alas, I didnt see MacNaught as wa in our 'Wet Season" in the Northern tropics, am lucky I see this comet!! :p

Archived