Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Pros and Cons of Stargazing

Nexus 6

Mine are no doubt very common to many of us.

British weather is a major con, as such I declare we must need our heads testing for trying to take pleasure from our hobby when we have to put up with what it throws at us.

"I knew this would happen"....its actually looking good for observing BUT I must oblige and miss out due to a prior engagement booked months before, make that another con, dealt by fate :evil6:

Work....that's a con no matter how you look at it. :):icon_scratch:

Illness...no getting away from the fact if you are its so difficult to focus on astronomy, you can feel like life's a con. :p

Sitting looking at equipment gathering dust :( ever felt like you've be conned?. :eek:

The pros are easy

one or two good nights observing part of Cosmos is all that's needed to make it all fell so worthwhile :icon_eek:

we don't ask for much do we? but we sure pay a lot for our enjoyment of the night skies.

Clear Skies SGL :icon_eek:

here's hoping 2012 is a record breaker...for nights of cloudless skies.

I agree, we must be mad spending all this money and hoping against hope we can get out to use it once in a while.

But I also agree that a good night observing gnerates the hunger for more.

Its my view that if we actually got more time observing we'd spend less, as the boredom takes over, and thats one way of participating in the pastime.

Bart

guess it would be too much... endless nights of clear skies, doubt I'd be able to cope :) not something we'll ever have to worry about living in the Uk and Ireland :p

roll on the next night of decent skies :(

You know, Nexus 6, when I bought my first scope in Jan of this year, I couldn't believe how often I got out for the following 2 or 3 months, it was fantastic. I thought to myself "I usually slag off the Irish weather, but maybe its better than I think".

I now realise that was an abberation and have come back to Earth with a bang. Pun intended.

Bart

ight pollution!

yes, forgot to add that, well its a con all right, we all pay to have the streets light up all night! what a waste of money :(

they should be all fitted with sensors so they trip on when any hedgehogs approach :) after all who's out at 3.00am apart from us lot and the wildlife?

When I drove trucks on night runs years ago it always amazed me how much energy was wasted lighting up roads, when all cars to my knowledge are fitted with lights.

Mile after mile of motorways ( where pedestrians aren't allowed) lit up, why?

If you can't see to drive you are a danger and shouldn't even be on the road period.

Pros: Those rare moments which I have narrowed down to about two times a year out of on average 60 attempts at observing, when conditions are perfect in the sense that the seeing, transparency, lack of light pollution, spot-on-collimation and general DSO hunting 'mojo'. They are truly worth all the nights of frustration.

Cons: the opposite of the pros.

Those rare moments which I have narrowed down to about two times a year out of on average 60 attempts at observing, when conditions are perfect in the sense that the seeing, transparency, lack of light pollution, spot-on-collimation and general DSO hunting 'mojo'. They are truly worth all the nights of frustration.

agree, it doesn't take much to make it all seem so worthwhile :(

like a few, I noticed the effect of a good night conditions wise here last saturday/sunday

great views of M42 being a particular highlight :)

When I drove trucks on night runs years ago it always amazed me how much energy was wasted lighting up roads, when all cars to my knowledge are fitted with lights.

Mile after mile of motorways ( where pedestrians aren't allowed) lit up, why?

If you can't see to drive you are a danger and shouldn't even be on the road period.

complete waste Steve...:)

Must admit:

I haven't been out for weeks:(

The weathers been pants

I am so hoping to get one decent night this winter without the moon being nearly full.

Every year we wait for the long nights of winter and the promise of cold clear nights.

Every year we get clouds, clouds, and more clouds the only good clear nights are around the full moon. Sigh:(

No good for even lunar lovers.

The only decent nights recently have been the ones when either the moons been nearly full or when my blumming vans been off the road so no observing.

Man I'm getting fed up.

Reading the good nights others have had is the only thing keeping me sane ATM.

Thank goodness for SGL and the great observing reports and great people on here.

Regards Steve

Archived