Using a 2x Shorty Barlow on Baader Hyperion Zoom

Dan Watts

Hi everyone,

I recently just got my first scope.

Due to having 2 eyepieces & Barlow supplied with my Limited Edition XT8:

• 35mm Orion Deepview 2"
  • 2x Shorty Barlow 1.25"
  • 25mm Sirius Plossl eyepiece

I went ahead after reading countless review, forums etc and took the dive in ordering a Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24mm...collecting it on Friday from a small company in the Midlands called 'Sherwoods Photographic Ltd' in Redditch who had 1 left in stock, phew! At least this way I can get good optics and maybe invest in certain focal lengths in the future when I have an idea of what I want...at the moment, I haven't a clue!!

I was wondering, is it possible to attach the 2x Shorty Barlow to is to magnify it even more? I saw various comments saying there is too much glass and others saying it is great (always the case)! lol.

I can't wait for clear skies over Xmas to crack this bad boy out...heard there was clouds though, grrr!

Thanks for your help.

Dan.

Hi everyone,

I recently just got my first scope.

Due to having 2 eyepieces & Barlow supplied with my Limited Edition XT8:

• 35mm Orion Deepview 2"
  • 2x Shorty Barlow 1.25"
  • 25mm Sirius Plossl eyepiece

I went ahead after reading countless review, forums etc and took the dive in ordering a Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24mm...collecting it on Friday from a small company in the Midlands called 'Sherwoods Photographic Ltd' in Redditch who had 1 left in stock, phew! At least this way I can get good optics and maybe invest in certain focal lengths in the future when I have an idea of what I want...at the moment, I haven't a clue!!

I was wondering, is it possible to attach the 2x Shorty Barlow to is to magnify it even more? I saw various comments saying there is too much glass and others saying it is great (always the case)! lol.

I can't wait for clear skies over Xmas to crack this bad boy out...heard there was clouds though, grrr!

Thanks for your help.

Dan.

I don't know specifically on the zoom, I've a number of Hyperion eyepieces... They all have a barlow inbuilt as part of the ep, that's why the tuning rings work, but having said that, adding a Celestron Ultima (same as the Shorty Plus I think) works fine.

I've got my eye on one of those Hyperion zooms - won't be able to afford it until well into the new year though. Yes, expensive but will save me buying several separate EPs (I have mostly cheapo ones ATM) and the extra convenience is a huge plus :)

Archived