Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

luna 2011

how good is a telrad finderscope

Very surprized to hear of unreliability. I have two, both going strong after about ten years in commercial use. As for suddenly being raved about, not so! I've been raving about them from the first time I used one ten years ago.

The key thing is that a circle gives you a reference for scale. 4 degree circle. A dot is a dot is a dot. Not much information in a dot.

Olly

Hi Olly. I think if you use a Telrad for it's intended purpose, i.e. star hopping from a chart, then the ringed reticle makes sense. However, most people seem to to use them as a simple pointer, in which case the reticle pattern can get in the way and a single dot would be better (that was my experience, anyway).

I might just have been unlucky with mine .. the first went in the bin but I had a spare base so decided to get a second one, which I sold to a chap who thought he could fix it when that too failed ! I realised at that point that after two failed units, plus the dew shade thingy, that I'd actually spent rather a lot of money and could have bought a premium unit for the outlay.

I might be tempted to get another if I ever bought a large Dob, but in the meantime I'm perfectly happy with my Baader Sky Surfer V for my C8 and 4" refractor - best RDF I've ever used and I think I've tried them all, Rigel excepted.

Edited by Alma

Since when did Astro kit have to be asthetically pleasing?

According to that analogy we should all be using brass refractors.

I see you own a 200p Dob, hardly the worlds answer to a great looking scope.:)

Regards Steve

Good point... however, there's no way I'm sticking one of those horrible rectangular, plasticy bases on to my beautiful and rather expensive apo refractor. If you've ever tried to remove a Telrad base you'll understand why!

use what suits your needs I had a red dot finder but now only use my finder scope. i recal someone slagging me off for using a green lazer pointer once I thought to myself ok so your not a fan of lazers dont use one then. I also made an offensive gesture and aimed it in there general direction :) not the lazer mind

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

hi all thanks 4 all the info and likes and hates lol.looks like they have got a really good reputation from what i see.tho they seem big and boxy ive seen they are lightweight which is good in one way,to much on the ota could over balance it ect.im going to shop about for a good deal so thanks to those recomending good dealersive been put of by the finder on my astromaster but not the scope itself as its a great well built unit shame the finder is not.celestron need to review the situation and come up with a better solution for new scopes and the chance to existing astromaster users to replace their current finder.a new years resolution to celestron lol redesign their astromaster finder scopes :-)

I love mine, as others have said its at it's best when you are using the reticules to measure and hop your way to a specific target. Otherwise I guess a dot finder would do the trick.

I have also dealt with Green Witch - they were very impressive. Quick delivery and helpful. I got one of their scope covers for my 200p and its great!