Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Bart

Christmas Presents = Clouds for ever

I expect many of us are expecting Christmas presents from loved ones (bought by ourselves!). Can you imagine how much cloud that much new gear will bring all at once. I've looked at the forecast for my area and while Christmas night is patchy (don't know if I could get out that evening without a tut, tut!) but the following week looks BAD! Looks like my new EP will have to do with just the odd cuddle and caress from me until the cloud goes.

Bart

Think you're right there Bart - could be stormy weather for quite some time. The odd package appears to have been delivered to our from FLO and Teleskop Service (couldn't help but notice the return addresses as I was, errrr, sorting the incoming mail!) so bad weather predicted here too!

Think you're right there Bart - could be stormy weather for quite some time. The odd package appears to have been delivered to our from FLO and Teleskop Service (couldn't help but notice the return addresses as I was, errrr, sorting the incoming mail!) so bad weather predicted here too!

Yessir! X6gas,

always wise to get to the post first, to remove any unwanted or stray parcels that may cause offence.......

I'm not expecting any astro related presents this year so that's my contribution to clear skies (not sure if I should insert a smiley or a sad face now) :)

Im in the same boat twotter but I am expecting some cash from work for a bonus so I might take the time to visit Opticstar which is opposite work and do some perusing and maybe exchange some lovely cash for goods..

Yessir! X6gas,

always wise to get to the post first, to remove any unwanted or stray parcels that may cause offence.......

:( I get bits delivered to my mates house :)

I get bits delivered to work.

Hope my LP filter turns up before I finish on Thursday.

But with cloud forecast, it won't be much use until January.

I laugh when I read people becoming 'devious ' regarding deliveries. Obviously you guys don't have an understanding wife like me .............. Ahem. As I keep saying, "because I'm worth it!"

Bart

I have one of those Bart as long as I just show her the pictures and tell her the costs so she can alter the budget to match general outgoings as well as not going through the intricacies then we have a happy existence :)

Weather does look awful for the next week or so. Got some new gear for Christmas and hopefully a telescope coming early in the new year, so it'll probably be cloudy for months! -.-

I have one of those Bart as long as I just show her the pictures and tell her the costs so she can alter the budget to match general outgoings as well as not going through the intricacies then we have a happy existence :)

Asur84

I, obviously, am no good with irony.

That will teach me to stop scan reading and to actually take in the basics of the conversation.

I'm not expecting any astro related presents this year so that's my contribution to clear skies (not sure if I should insert a smiley or a sad face now)

very noble of you to make a sacrifice for the sake of our clear skies :)

There will be clear skies, but they will be on the nights where something is happening with the loved one or family and your presence is required on pain of death, or worse. :)

i do that as well:D:D

If your buddy was into astronomy it would generate some odd questions I'd imagine. "No, I swear, this is Jimmy's", of course, he could always deny it ever arrived if he fancied it.,

Bart

im hoping for many clear nights, getting my first scope for christmas and cant wait. there's been quite a few nice nights since my scope arrived at my house. been busting to get it out but wife's having none of it :) the irony, oh the irony. lol

I'm still paying for buying the 8SE. 12 days now and only 1 clear night (that wasnt insanely windy and cold) which i was too tired to go out on so i have yet to use the scope.

P.S.~~~clouds are not just for christmas...they are for life.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

I'm still paying for buying the 8SE. 12 days now and only 1 clear night (that wasnt insanely windy and cold) which i was too tired to go out on so i have yet to use the scope.

P.S.~~~clouds are not just for christmas...they are for life.

That's bad luck Paul. I think Fri late evening is supposed to be ok, so, ready, steady ' observe ! Good luck with the new scope.

ps bad back pain explains the odd posting times!

all my family has now moved to the darkest depths of Scotland so it will be a quiet one here with just the "War Office" and kids.

If it does become clear I'll be able to sneak out over xmas. :)

On the subject of buying the "essentials" we need for our hobby quote: "I need one of those otherwise it will not work properly!!" usually does the job :(

I think the constant trickle of parcels I've recieved since Oct may have contributed to the cloud I'm afraid.

There is a formula for this thread

D = How old the new item is in days

C = How much it costs in £

P = How much planning went into the viewing session in Minutes

V = How long in days was your last good viewing session

(C/D + P) - V

So if your new item cost £100, It is 1 day old (i.e you try to use it Xmas day evening), you spend 30 minutes planning your viewing session and it was a week since your last viewing session:

(100/1 + 30) - V = 123 days of cloud!

Or if you just get a £3 dust cap, dont use it for 3 days, dont plan your session, and you last looked up a month ago:

(3/3 + 0) - 30 = -29 (rounded up to first whole number) = you should be good to go!

HTH :-)

Chris