M63 LRGB

MikeD

The conditions last night were not the best for RGB imaging, lp killed the contrast in the red.

The RGB from last night was 7 @ 2.5 min's bin x 2 and added to he L from last week.

I might have another go at the colour on a better night.

image.jpg

Mike

Now that is a gorgeous image, really one to be proud of Mike. I know the colour is muted but it looks so natural like that. Hats off to you. This is a benchmark for me with M63 being my next target when I've sorted out the technical nightmare that is my new SXV AO unit.

Have had a fiddle with the star trails, hope that's ok.

image.jpg

Photoshop Tom. With this image the trails are different in different parts of the image but normally they are consistent across the image. Right click on the image and select duplicate layer. On the layers palette select "darken" as the blend mode. Go to the filters menu and from "other" choose "offset". Now play around moving the new layer right or left, up or down by 1 2 or even 3 pixels until you get round stars. If a 1 pixel isn't enough but 2 is too much choose 2 and close the offset box. Then go to edit menu and select "fade offset". This allows sub pixel adjustment by moving the slider over to the left - you can achieve an offset somewhere between 1 and 2 pixels. Then return to the layers menu and flatten the image. The beauty of the darken mode is that provided the offset isn't too extreme it has minimal effect on the rest of the image. It only impacts on high contrast differences.

With Mikes image I collected small groups of stars with a similar trail pattern using the lasoo tool and then from the layer menu selected New/layer via copy. This created a new layer which just had my selection. This made it possible to deal differently with the varying groups of stars.

It's a fantastic image regardless.

Archived