Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Christmas Lights and Observing?

Mr Q

After reading Moonmonkey's post about his neighbor's lights ruining his observing, I got to thinking "What would I do?" And the answer is a tough one. Since asking them to turn them off for a while while observing might not work, what I would do would be :icon_salut: so I won't say what that would be here.

I love Christmas lights but.....

So what would you do if confronted with the problem ???

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed that less people are going for loads of external lighting this year. Whether that's due to environmental or economic issues I'm not sure - probably the latter !.

I can't quite understand why folks who do use lots of external Xmas lighting would keep it switched on after they have gone to bed though :icon_salut:

I would probably ask politely if the lighting could be turned off after midnight I guess.

we don't get a problem with xmas lights, there are a few around here but not to close to us to make it a nuisance. On the other hand a neighbour behind us has just installed a 500w security light which points at all our houses. It wouldn't be to bad but they've just taken it out the box and fitted it without adjusting the sensors. It is coming on constantly even with a slight breeze and keeping my kids awake at night, not to mention what it does for for seeing with the scope!! They shall be getting a polite note through the door tomorrow.

Very few "Animated Reindeer" or 20' Santa Dirigibles this year! :)

The over-friendly "peeper / stalker bloke" always puts up LED window lights. He used to obsessively bang on and "sneer" in a sinister way re. my lack of decorations: "Aren't you entering into the SPIRIT of things... Don't you really LIKE Xmas, Mate?" Uhm... Yeeees, but then I'm not trying to attract candidates to bury under the patio? :)

Don't call the Cops! LOL. Seriously tho', he is one weird, scary guy. Just glad he's moved on to others now... :icon_salut:

I'd go for the 'after midnight' approach, I suppose. Most householders must surely know how much their electricity bills are ramping up! Or is it all down to these new LED lights that consume next to nothing?

I've heard somewhere that it's a selling-point in some areas, if you're selling your house, whether it has a separate circuit on the consumer unit exclusively for powering Xmas lights. Well, I can categorically state that my house has no such circuit. And I have no intention of putting one in! Does that make me a Scrooge?:)

The over-friendly "peeper / stalker bloke" always puts up LED window lights. He used to obsessively bang on and "sneer" in a sinister way re. my lack of decorations: "Aren't you entering into the SPIRIT of things... Don't you really LIKE Xmas, Mate?" Uhm... Yeeees, but then I'm not trying to attract candidates to bury under the patio? :(

Don't call the Cops! LOL. Seriously tho', he is one weird, scary guy. Just glad he's moved on to others now... :)

:p:D:D.

Lights in electric blue appear to be very fashionable around here this year. I'm guessing that its this years black.

I think my home has some terrible LP issues as is but yeah agree with just upping sticks and observing elsewhere. Have seen some ridiculous exterior lights though this year and thought everytime I see them how glad I am I dont live next door!

I hate those lights that aren't even doing anything but flash, with no distinct xmas feel, and yet they are directly in my way, and flash in a way which is just constantly intermittent like paparazzi photo taking! :(

Chris - be careful looking at them flashing - they could cause a seizure :)

John, you are spot on - there are usually tons of external lights in my community, but there's only a couple of houses that are decorated and they are rich families.

In our street it is quite the reverse. One side of the street are council houses, the other half semi-detached houses owned by those living there (or the bank until the mortgage has been paid). This side is generally dark, or has just one or two lights on.

The many houses on the council-house side is lit up like a Xmas tree decorated by a flock of deranged magpies (on acid).

Luckily, my garden faces south, and the light from the led-lit tinsel festival across the street is shielded by the bulk of our house.

Whilst out on patrol the other night I saw an amazing display at a house on my beat. I was about to take a picture to show my wife ( she loves this sort of thing ), when the curtains flickered and all of the lights abruptly swithched off and the large inflatable snowman slumped into a sad pile. I guess they saw the word police and instantly thought there had been some kind of complaint, even though its not an offence to have Chrimbo lights. Maybe I could do a drive by past your neighbours house to see if it has the same affect.:):icon_rendeer:

Maybe I could do a drive by past your neighbours house to see if it has the same affect.:):icon_rendeer:

Sounds like a great idea - are you taking bookings? :( Tho' it would be a long drive for you to get to my place...

I'm no fan of these lights, myself, but surely no-one except the most curmudgeonly of our good fellow-citizens could possibly imagine this to be a matter for the Old Bill?! EHO's perhaps? Or maybe they were thinking of WW2, the Blitz, Dad's Army, and ARP Hodges patrolling the streets yelling "Put that bleedin' light out!"

Get in my car with warm drinks and food take off to a dark site miles from anywhere get my telescope set up with the tracking motor and camera and image my favorite galaxy. Come back admire there exspensive display and be glad i wont be getting an electric bill that is big enough to choke a donkey. :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Archived