Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milky Way....

Hi all.....long time no post on here but need a bit of advice.

I am looking to photograph the Milky Way, not through a scope just a plain old dslr. Is it visible at the mo, if so when and does anyone know of some good dark skies in the SE

Cheers

Chub

Chubster - Unless your night sky is very light polluted and no local light shines into your lens, you should be able to do it. The more light pollution, the less contrast the MW will have with the background.

Starman - nice pic! I did one similar with a slow moving lit cigar years ago and it worked but not as well as yours. I was using Fuji film while experimenting with long open shutter exposures of night scenes that were not astronomy related.

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking to photograph the Milky Way, not through a scope just a plain old dslr. Is it visible at the mo, if so when and does anyone know of some good dark skies in the SE

Download Stellarium and that will show you where it lies. Pretty low down currently, so somewhere with an unobstructed view of the horizon would be my bet i.e. hill, seashore.

Archived