SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

BBC2 tonight 9.00

Alan_B

Having recently finished a physics degree I realise the program wasn't aimed at myself but who was it aimed at? My sister, whose science knowledge goes up to A-Level chemistry and biology was confused after 15 minutes so gave up. He seemed to expect that people had knowledge of what an atom is and their constituents (he did briefly say but that was it). He did a good job at dumming down the physics but not a good enough job for those who have little background knowledge. Nevertheless, brought back memories... at least there was no perturbation theory :)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My head hertz ! =

BC said that rubbing his diamond changes the quantum state of all (or many or even just one - my qualification) of the electrons in the crystal lattice and that would require a change of state of all other electrons in the universe, am I right so far ?

Well that may be so according to Pauli, IF most (or all bar one or two) states are already occupied. But if we rub our diamond and change the state of all of our electrons into eigenstates which no other electrons in the universe occupy then no other electron in the universe would need to change state ??

So, rubbing just one electron up a bit only needs all other electrons in the universe to change if all other eigenstates bar one are already filled ? that would require an awful lot of electrons wouldnt it, even maybe an infinity, bar one or two, of electrons ?

Nah, I recon Shrodinger and his probability density stuff comes into play long before :0

I think the editing was clumsy though. I'd like to see a "full length" version as there were places where the explanations were disjointed and I'm sure that wasn't what happened on the day.
I know nothing at all about editing TV programmes, but I imagine you can't cut any material in the middle of a 'take', otherwise the video will look jumpy and obviously edited. Moreover, in cases like this where the programme consists mainly of a single person lecturing, you have to avoid making cuts in the middle of a sentence, or otherwise causing a non-sequitur in the speech.

Perhaps the editors, knowing they had to fit into a specific time slot, had to do the best they could with what they had. Possibly, achieving 'smoothness' of presentation had precedence over maintaining logical scientific progression.

But as I said, I'm no expert.

just watched it on Iplayer i enjoyed it it made things a lot clearer for me. took me back to uni when the maths teacher first explained that there is some things we have to accept then the next year we were taught how to calculate the accepted ourselves as we took the journey through standard (mainstream) maths through advanced mathematics and then onto applied maths. I never knew the were different levels. loved to see the equation on the board and not getting flustered by it. i can though see why JR got in a fluster as he was out of his depth. i once was just like him but i have gained the knowledge and understanding to accept when it comes to maths / science you have to accept that there is not enough time to explain everything.

i thoroughly enjoyed the program and am a lot more knowledgeable on it now. though i don't know where i will use this knowledge this week.

Well Done PBC & BBC

and a pat to JR for being honest and saying he was out of his depth. more than likely the best thing he has ever said on telly.

I personally never really liked the young professor before, but that show made me change my mind. I thought it showed guts to do and he pulled if off fine. I never read up on what the show would cover so when he turned to Quantum physics after a few minutes I thought it was great!

Sure the theory is mindboggling to, well, dare i say most on this planet - me included, but it was great to see it presented in this way.

Well done Professor Cox. Think PBC should be added on the SGL abreviations sticky like SPM...

I for one liked the show for what it does - mixing celebrity and science.

PBC has captured my kids' attention ever since the Wonders days. They call him 'the smiling professor'

Although they admit they lost the train of theory within 10 minutes, I am sure in the future they will still remember the diamond, spring and bewildered celebs!

I am a software engineer not a scientist, however I read a lot of popular science, so it is very good to see all the basic theories put in the correct order in one hour.

People who want pure lecture should go to Universities public lectures.

So I applaud PBC and BBC for trying to make science glamorous.

PS: great episode of Monday's The Infinite Monkey Cage as well.

i enjoyed it and taped it. understood the majority of it, or at least thats what i'm telling myself :p

understood the concepts of the theories, maths was beyond my grasp but hey ho.

all in all a good show and great to see celebs looking so bewildered!

liked the mickey taking of himself but most of all the line about the worlds greatest city :):(

Just watched on IPlayer. Was expecting the worst: anything where irrelevant celebs like Jonathon Ross are gratuitously inserted seems like a bad idea.

However it exceeded my expectations. I'm not a massive fan of Brian Cox though I don't dislike him. This show was a lecture plain and simple. I thought it would be over simplified but instead was probably too complicated for most (inc me). However that's why I like Brian Cox. He is awed by his subject and is passionate about sharing the wonders of science with ordinary people (non-scientists). And that's a laudable thing to do IMO, and I'm glad he does it.

As lectures go it was above average but not outstanding. I somehow thought that if Jim Al Khalili had given it instead it might have been better. But, I'm cynically thinking, that the reason Cox got the job was simply because he's better looking: if true that's a sad indictment of our shallow, celeb obsessed society.

Perhaps this may help. Go to the OU discussion site at Brian Cox and the Pauli Exclusion principle | Platform | Open University

and look at Simon's answer. It suggests that the principal could have a universal effect.

Someone also queried the fact that this would mean faster than light travel if every thing everywhere responded to a local change in energy levels. I do not know much about such things, but I thought that limitation was on anything with mass whereas information does not have mass (or does it?) If it doesn't then I suppose it could travel faster than light. I am sure someone will put me right on this.

Archived