Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Sorry, but I must be stupid. Have had a telerad for the last few weeks only 200p Dob. Can see the rings fine, but find it very difficult to see any objects, so I am using the finder!! Help would be appreciated.

As Ismangil has said, the telrad only throws a projection of the rings 'onto' the sky. It wont make anything any more visible. As a matter of fact, if the telrad is any was dewed up, you might still see the rings but the glass is less transparent. Check that. Also, dont turn the light up too much as it can be difficult to see past the bright rings. I usually just turn the light up until its just visible and so its glare doesn't drown out the stars.

Bart

Was going to say the same, adjust the brightness of the rings while looking through the telrad so they are not too bright :icon_salut:

you cannot see any (or hardly any) actual objects through the Telrad window but you use it to see bright stars and then position the central circle on the right area using shapes like triangles etc from your star map or star hopping if you can see enough stars. it's really to get you in roughly the right area and you can then use your optical finder (I have both fitted to my scopes) or your widest field eyepiece to home in. then choose the eyepiece which gives the most pleasing image. I agree also on the brightness - use as little brightness as you can. also make a dew shield.

Edited by Moonshane

It might seem a strange thing to suggest but I find it easier to use my Telrad with both eyes open. Then I can see the target star through the Telrad with my right eye and not through it with the left. It's a bit of an acquired skill but it works for me.

totally agree with both eyes open and completely forgot to mention it! this works with straight finders too.

Hi, the three separate circles have angular sizes of ½, 2 and 4

degrees. A good example of how this works is locating the M44 Beehive cluster in Cancer. It's about 4 degrees north of Asellus Australis and just to the right. If you put the outer ring of the telrad on this star the m44 should be in the middle (or there abouts). Look through your scope and should see the m44.

This web site has maps with all the messier objects with the telrad circles drawn on.

Good luck

http://www.atmob.org/library/member/skymaps_jsmall.html

used mine for the first time last night and have to agree with the others, turn the rings down so you can just see them and use both eyes.

It made my viewing last night a whole better experience, the best bit of kit I have bought by far. Also my next purchase will be a heater as the dew last night was horrendous.

Cant stop laughing fellas. No wonder I could not see much, had the bl---y thing on the wrong way around. Can see much better now! Ha!

Cant stop laughing fellas. No wonder I could not see much, had the bl---y thing on the wrong way around. Can see much better now! Ha!

That is an absolute classic, really gave me a chuckle. :):D

But it takes a big man to admit to his mistakes.

Seriously, glad your all sorted.

Ha ha ha - fantastic, I lauged out loud when I read that, good man though for fessing up, glad you have it sorted though.

For a cheaper allternative see my sig, made my own Telrad dew cover!

Many thanks for that Daz, something to do over xmas!!