Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

dfronteras

What are you looking at night to night

Date 17.12 and 1.3C time 23.33pm just been looking at the Alphard which is the brightest star in the constellation Hydra and 3 times the mass of the Sun also the estimated age of Alphard is 420 million years and sequence to become a giant star.

Mainly looking at Jupiter, the Pleides (spelling?) also known as the 7 sisters and the Orion nebula as they are the easiest things to see in binocs for me and are right out of my bedroom window every night during the autumn / winter months :icon_salut:

I had a quick tour with my small refractor. Initially Jupiter, and spent a bit of time looking at Orion with M42/3, NGC1981 and of course the areas around the main belt and including the star systems of Sigma orionis and the Trapezium.

Then had a look at some other familiar objects like M35 in Gemini and the Double Cluster in Perseus as well as M31, the Andromeda galaxy and the Pleiades.

Then a quick look for a couple of new (to me) open clusters in Auriga and managed to find NGC1644 (only with averted vision) and NGC1582; struggled with a couple of others as I really needed a bit more aperture or a darker sky. Then I remembered that I had never actually looked at M40, the Messier mistake, in Ursa Major. Really just a double star rather than a 'proper' Messier but it's now one I have seen.

Finally, I just noticed that Mars was peeping above the rooftops as I was packing up and had a quick look at that but really too low and small currently for this scope.

Hi

first time out for weeks had a look at jupiter and m42 in orion through 70mm frac and m81 and 82 through 8 inch dob only came in because i was cold

Clear for me in Belper, Derbyshire. Jupiter, M31, Double cluster, M42. Not been out for a while so spent some time brushing up the star hopping skills.

18.12 at 21.09pm -1.7c tonight I was trying to see Cosmos 482 Descent Craft Launched March 31 on 1972 it Attempted Venus Probe which Failed to escape low earth orbit. I need a better Telescope to see it.

Been out with binoculars tonight. Managed to locate Venus, Neptune, Uranus and Jupiter, all within a couple of hours. Shame forecast is for cloud later else I might be in with a shot at picking up Mars, Saturn and Mercury too!

David

Jupe - a never ending source of interest as it is constantly changing. Plus lovely old moonie when she's there.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I was mainly looking at the bottom of my whisky nosing glass (Its been a very busy weekend).

Earlier in the year, I thought Saturn was simply beautiful . It is. But Jupiter is more interesting I think, what with changing moons, barges, that elusive GRS , which I have recently managed a few times ! And something I haven't got is a a moon transit with or without shadow . .

Also must say, I love galaxies, their variety and possibilities ....

Bart

looking at the incredible rich lesser spotted black nebula's found in Cumulonimbus!

No, just a bunch of never ending clouds really...

Hello, im looking more and more at globular clusters like M13, M15, thats fun.

Sometimes I just take the goto tour in my handcontrol database to see what shows up, thats fun to.

But for some days to come im looking into some beer bottles and lots of warm wine, also fun.

//Ola